kenmorefield

2016 Arts & Faith Ecumenical Jury -- Nominations and Discussion

Which Voting Format Do You Prefer?   12 members have voted

  1. 1. Which Voting Format Do You Prefer

    • 1 Ballot where members rank each nominated film using a Likert (1-5) scale; winners are films with highest average from critics who have screened film.
      3
    • 1 Ballot where critics select their 10-15 favorites, unranked, from all nominees; winners are determined by second ballot where critics rank the 10/15 finalists.
      9

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

166 posts in this topic

Link to 2015 Jury Thread

Link to 2014 Jury Thread

Greetings colleague. Subsequent to our discussion on the exploratory thread and via e-mail, I am creating a nominations thread for this year's jury. If you haven't already done so, please reply to the poll. Once I have results, I will edit this initial thread to indicate dates and deadlines. As in years past, the second message in this thread will keep a running tally of nominated films. 

Colin unfortunately had to drop out this year, as did Alissa and Lauren. If anyone wants to take point on dealing with publicists for possible screeners, let me know. If not, I'll probably send an e-mail in a week or two asking you to confirm e-mail or mailing address if you opt-in to screener requests. (Alternately, we can put it on individual critics who are having a hard time getting access to a particular film to message me or one of the other members who gets screeners and request contact information for publicist.) Also, please let me know if you would like your primary affiliation to be other than what is listed below.

2016 Jury

Kenneth R. Morefield -- 1More Film Blog 

Evan Cogswell -- Catholic Cinephile

Christian Hamaker -- Crosswalk

Josh Hamm -- Cut Print Film

Joel Mayward -- Cinemayward

M. Leary -- Filmwell

Gareth Higgins -- God is Not Elswhere

Steven D. Greydanus -- Decent Films

Peter T. Chattaway -- FilmChat

Noel T. Manning II -- WGWG

Jeffrey Overstreet -- Christianity Today

Anders Bergstrom -- 3 Brothers Film

Jessica Gibson -- Freelance/Christ & Pop Culture

Edited by kenmorefield

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Edited: Here is a list of nominees. Titles that have been seconded are in bold. (Updated 11/12)
  • 13th
  • Accidental Courtesy
  • Almost Holy
  • Arrival
  • The BFG
  • Cameraperson
  • Captain America: Civil War
  • Captain Fantastic
  • Cemetery of Splendor
  • Certain Women
  • The Confirmation
  • Deepwater Horizon
  • Doctor Strange
  • Dheepan
  • The Edge of Seventeen
  • Embrace of the Serpent
  • Everybody Wants Some!!
  • Eye in the Sky
  • Finding Dory
  • The Fits
  • Free State of Jones
  • Gleason
  • Green Room
  • Hacksaw Ridge
  • Hail, Caesar!
  • Hell or High Water
  • Hidden Figures
  • A Hologram for the King
  • Hunt For the Wilderpeople
  • Hypernormalisation
  • The Innocents
  • Into the Inferno
  • The Invitation
  • Jackie
  • Knight of Cups
  • Kubo and the Two Strings
  • La La Land
  • Last Days in the Desert
  • The Light Between Oceans
  • Little Men
  • Love & Friendship
  • Loving
  • Manchester By the Sea
  • The Mermaid
  • Midnight Special
  • Miss Sharon Jones!
  • Moana
  • A Monster Calls
  • Moonlight
  • Mountains May Depart
  • Mr. Church
  • Newtown
  • O.J.: Made in America
  • Only Yesterday
  • Our Little Sister
  • Personal Shopper
  • Pete's Dragon
  • Rams
  • The Queen of Katwe
  • Right Now, Wrong Then
  • Silence
  • Sing Street
  • Sound of Redemption
  • Sully
  • Sunset Song
  • Swiss Army Man
  • Things to Come
  • Tower
  • The Treasure
  • The Unknown Girl
  • The Vessel
  • Weiner
  • The Witness
  • The Witch
  • The Young Messiah
  • Zootopia
     
Edited by kenmorefield

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to weigh the advantages of both voting systems for a day or two before voting, but meanwhile:

Second Hell or High Water.

I Nominate (provided they're all eligible):

The Witch
Love & Friendship
Our Little Sister

Sully
The Young Messiah
Sing Street
Pete's Dragon
Hail, Caesar!

Eye in the Sky
Little Men

Edited by Evan C

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I second all of Evan's choices except:

Our Little Sister
Sully
The Young Messiah

Simply because I haven't seen any of them.

I also nominate:

Knight of Cups

Sunset Song

Dheepan (I saw this theatrically in 2016; not sure it's eligible)

Kubo and the Two Strings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've yet to see most of the festival fare that's making its way round this year, so I'll have more to contribute after the next three weeks, but in the meantime...

I second:

Sully
Knight of Cups
Kubo and the Two Strings
Our Little Sister

And I'd like to nominate:

The BFG
Mountains May Depart 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I nominate:

The Innocents

Last Days in the Desert

The Fits

Midnight Special

Swiss Army Man

Should we create a thread for discussing/explaining our nominated films? For instance, I think Swiss Army Man is definitely worth consideration, but I imagine I'd need to make a good argument for why a farting corpse film should be included here.

Edited by Joel Mayward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I nominate:

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!! (Linklater)

PERSONAL SHOPPER (Assayas)

RIGHT NOW, WRONG THEN (Hong)

Edit:

Adding GREEN ROOM (Saulnier), even though I doubt it will make the final list. It is a likely entry on my own top 10 right now.

 

Edited by Anders

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Second: Midnight Special

Ken: Is there a better way to second nominations than to create new posts?

Edited by Christian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Second: Mountains May Depart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kubo and the Two Strings (2nd)

Sully (3rd)

The BFG (2nd)

Capt. America: Civil War

The Young Messiah (2nd)
Sing Street (2nd)
Pete's Dragon (2nd)
Hail, Caesar! (2nd)

Deepwater Horizon

Zootopia

Mr. Church

A Hologram for the King

Finding Dory

Free State of Jones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I converted the second post to a running tally of nominations and seconds. If I miss(ed) anything, don't hesitate to tell me.

Christian: anyone is welcome to send me a DM or email to nominate or second if you prefer not to add a new message to this thread.

Joel: Regarding separate threads, in years past it's really depended on nature of discussion. Some people have discussed nominees in film specific threads. Others have made special pleadings in this thread, arguing that it may be of less interest to other readers (or the archive) and could be a distraction to the film specific thread. Plus it is less to track.

My personal preference is to make arguments here, just because I don't want to open every new message in another thread to see if it is an argument for here, but that's a personal preference, not a direction.

Aside: Publicist just sent a digital screener of The Innocents to OFCS, so if someone really wants to see that, e-mail me and I'll give you the publicist's contact info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kenmorefield said:

Joel: Regarding separate threads, in years past it's really depended on nature of discussion. Some people have discussed nominees in film specific threads. Others have made special pleadings in this thread, arguing that it may be of less interest to other readers (or the archive) and could be a distraction to the film specific thread. Plus it is less to track.

My personal preference is to make arguments here, just because I don't want to open every new message in another thread to see if it is an argument for here, but that's a personal preference, not a direction.

Aside: Publicist just sent a digital screener of The Innocents to OFCS, so if someone really wants to see that, e-mail me and I'll give you the publicist's contact info.

Great! Then allow me to advocate this here: everyone should definitely see The Innocents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I nominate Queen of Katwe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Per recommendations from Alissa (through Greg), Jessica Gibson has agreed to join the jury. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to go ahead and nominate The Vessel. I'm not sold out to the film by any means, but think it would be an interesting candidate for this jury to weigh. I hope I'm not the only who's seen it, or the only one who thinks it worthy of consideration. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll second Manchester By The Sea and Personal Shopper

 

And glad to have Jessica as a new member! (and, out of curiosity, did anyone end up approaching Melissa Tamminga about joining?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll second Dheepan, and I nominate 13th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I nominate O.J.: Made in America and Rams

I'll second 13th and Sunset Song.

Question: Is there a deadline for nominations and seconds? I'm not aware of the timeline for this year's process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2016 at 10:45 AM, Joel Mayward said:

Question: Is there a deadline for nominations and seconds? I'm not aware of the timeline for this year's process.

So we had deferred question of dates until after people voted in the poll for format. Looks like votes are running 6-2 in favor of two rounds. So I propose the finalists ballot (where critics select 10 films, unranked) from among nominations, go out December 13th and be returned no later than midnight December 18th. The second ballot (ranking the top 10 finalists) go out December 20th and returned no later than midnight December 26th.

This is negotiable. I *think* Greg's preference last year was that we be a little quicker on the results, which this would be. I continue to want to give those without access to screeners/screenings an opportunity to see Christmas releases if necessary. (This year that might include Passengers and Silence.)

Would mean that if people offer to write blurbs for Image write up they should be *ready* to go fairly quickly. Of course, this would be helped by the fact that people would have an extra week to know which film they are blurbing even if the final position on the list isn't yet determined. 

Thoughts? Is this okay with everyone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 10/16/2016 at 5:00 PM, kenmorefield said:

So we had deferred question of dates until after people voted in the poll for format. Looks like votes are running 6-2 in favor of two rounds. So I propose the finalists ballot (where critics select 10 films, unranked) from among nominations, go out December 13th and be returned no later than midnight December 18th. The second ballot (ranking the top 10 finalists) go out December 20th and returned no later than midnight December 26th.

This is negotiable. I *think* Greg's preference last year was that we be a little quicker on the results, which this would be. I continue to want to give those without access to screeners/screenings an opportunity to see Christmas releases if necessary. (This year that might include Passengers and Silence.)

Would mean that if people offer to write blurbs for Image write up they should be *ready* to go fairly quickly. Of course, this would be helped by the fact that people would have an extra week to know which film they are blurbing even if the final position on the list isn't yet determined. 

Thoughts? Is this okay with everyone?

These dates leave out plenty of pre-Christmas releases, such as the films you mentioned, as well as La La Land, A Monster Calls, I Daniel Blake, Fences, Toni Erdmann. Folks may have seen these at TIFF, NYFF, VIFF, etc. but for those waiting for wider releases, these all come after December 13. I also totally understand the desire to publish an earlier list. So, consider me voting to push back those dates a week or so, but I'm open to whatever the group decides.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Joel Mayward said:

 

These dates leave out plenty of pre-Christmas releases, such as the films you mentioned, as well as La La Land, A Monster Calls, I Daniel Blake, Fences, Toni Erdmann. Folks may have seen these at TIFF, NYFF, VIFF, etc. but for those waiting for wider releases, these all come after December 13. I also totally understand the desire to publish an earlier list. So, consider me voting to push back those dates a week or so, but I'm open to whatever the group decides.

 

Let me talk to Greg and see if I am making assumptions about dates or whether Image has a particular deadline in mind. 

In the last two years it has been the case where nominations close on December 26 so that anyone can see a Christmas release and has a week to see something that is nominated. That hasn't helped with works like Selma or The Revenant that did Oscar-qualifying limited releases and January wide releases, but we'll maybe cross that bridge when/if we come to it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Greg said his primary concern is that it is in advance of Oscars.

Joel how would you feel about closing nominations December 26th and making deadline for final ballots January 1?
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kenmorefield said:

So Greg said his primary concern is that it is in advance of Oscars.

Joel how would you feel about closing nominations December 26th and making deadline for final ballots January 1?
 

I recognize my preferences shouldn't determine the schedule for the entire jury, but that's my this would definitely work for me and my schedule.:) Does anyone else have input or opinions on this?

And I nominate The Witness.

Also, I hope O.J.: Made in America is eligible, having had a brief theatrical run this past year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now