kenmorefield

2016 Arts & Faith Ecumenical Jury -- Nominations and Discussion

Which Voting Format Do You Prefer?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which Voting Format Do You Prefer

• 1 Ballot where members rank each nominated film using a Likert (1-5) scale; winners are films with highest average from critics who have screened film.
    • 1 Ballot where critics select their 10-15 favorites, unranked, from all nominees; winners are determined by second ballot where critics rank the 10/15 finalists.

Anders   
2 hours ago, Joel Mayward said:

Also, I hope O.J.: Made in America is eligible, having had a brief theatrical run this past year.

I'm only done two parts, but I hope so too.

I don't know if it will get on Netflix or get any kind of widespread screenings, but I see Newtown is getting a Fathom Events screening in many theaters on Nov. 2. I urge you to see it if you can. It's been fluctuating at or near the top of my best film experiences of the year. 

http://1morefilmblog.com/2016/03/16/newtown-snyder-2016/

4 hours ago, Jess Gibson said:

I second Queen of Katwe! Saw it this week, it's a really lovely, gentle, and real depiction of faith in action. I also want to second Last Days in the Desert. 

Welcome to A&F, Jess! 

kenmorefield wrote:
: Has anyone else seen Rams? Gareth Higgins has been raving about that movie all year....

Started watching it on Netflix a few nights ago, but fell asleep about half an hour in as I usually do at that hour. It's a pretty slow-moving film, though.

34 minutes ago, kenmorefield said:

Has anyone else seen Rams? Gareth Higgins has been raving about that movie all year....

I nominated it! It's quite good, in that Nordic slow-paced, deadpan sort of way.

58 minutes ago, kenmorefield said:

Has anyone else seen Rams? Gareth Higgins has been raving about that movie all year....

I saw the final 20 minutes at Middleburg last year and liked it enough to grab a library DVD just last week for a full watch. But I didn't get to it. 

Anders   

Apparently there is no official second for OJ: MADE IN AMERICA, so consider this my second.

Colin (last year) took point on organizing people who were actively looking for screeners. Not sure we'll have anyone doing that this year, but...I'm willing to share contact info for where individual jurors can request screener(s) directly from reps. (Whether they'll send them is a different story.) I mention that because I just got a DVD screener for OJ: Made in America.

Nomination to add: Moana. I got to see an early screening of it yesterday and it blew me away. Music, animation, humor, all hold up in true Disney fashion - the narrative is the real kicker though, a genuinely empowering, encouraging, heartfelt female-driven story that was satisfying in ways Frozen and Brave weren't. I don't want to spoil it before it's out, but for anyone who's interested I'd love to keep talking about it. 

I am, with a little -- okay a lot -- of conflicting feelings, going to nominate Edge of Seventeen

It's been awhile since I've simultaneously loved and loathed a movie this much...maybe Under the Skin? And I'll be unpacking its effect on me for awhile.

For now I'll say there is a very, very interesting prayer about 2/3 of the way through the film. Whether one thinks of the aftermath being the rest of the movie or and immediate payoff joke may go a long way towards resolving those conflicting feelings. Since it's a James L. Brooks movie, I'm including to err on the side of cynicism.

But, by the same token, there is a shot closer to the end that is so rife with primal, archetypal power that it nearly brought me to tears. And Woody Harrelson is probably getting my vote for Best Supporting Actor. 

It's complicated...but, anyhow, I nominate Edge of Seventeen

6 hours ago, Peter T Chattaway said:

I'll second Edge of Seventeen -- though I wish I remembered the prayer better (and I wonder what the "primal, archetypal" shot was?).

For me the scene

where the brother and sister hug at the end taps into something very powerful for people who have had a certain kind of sibling relationship. Formally, it's a very well composed shot -- his forearms are so huge, and I appreciated the film's willingness to stay on his face and highlight his arms rather than her face -- and as someone who has seen how deaths within a family complicate family relationships, I found it very movie.

Anders   
3 hours ago, M. Leary said:

I'll second Rams and Zootopia and The Fits

A few more nominations:

Only Yesterday

If we're counting theatrical re-releases, I'll second ONLY YESTERDAY. I know it came out in Japan in 1991, but does anyone know if it ever had a domestic NA release in the early 90s at all?

M. Leary   

As far as I am aware, it showed once or twice in the US, but it did not quite meet the conditions for "release" that most list makers use. I am okay if we want to just deny its eligibility, but it is such a lovely film.

Anders   
5 hours ago, M. Leary said:

As far as I am aware, it showed once or twice in the US, but it did not quite meet the conditions for "release" that most list makers use. I am okay if we want to just deny its eligibility, but it is such a lovely film.

It really is. So, I'm also okay if we want to consider it eligible just so we can raise awareness about it and get people to talk about it more. Colin write a nice piece on the film, so I'm sure he'd support it too.

http://www.brehmcenter.com/initiatives/reelspirituality/film/reviews/only-yesterday