Sign in to follow this  
opus

2004 Toronto International Film Festival

The TIFF 2004 website just went live. The complete film schedule won't be available until August, but they've already announced a couple...

House Of Flying Daggers (Zhang Yimou's followup to Hero.)

Red Dust

Silver City (New one from John Sayles)

Enduring Love (Roger Michell)

P.S. (New one from guy who did Roger Dodger.)

Palindromes (New one from Todd Solondz.)

Notre Musique (New Godard)

A Tout De Suite

Salvador Allende

Demain On Demenage

...and more.

So, is anyone planning on attending? I'll be there for about half of the festival (I don't think I can swing enough vacation time, and I don't want to wear out my welcome at my friend's place).

Edited by opus

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

I'll be there. It's already a fascinating lineup. smile.gif I'm arriving on the first Friday (the day after opening night) and staying for the entire fest.

J Robert

I'm not exactly sure when I'll be there. I'm actually going to Seattle beforehand with my girlfriend to visit some friends of hers, and then heading over to the fest. But right now, the plan is to be there from the 9th until the 13th or 14th.

I just wish I didn't have to wait until August for the entire film schedule. There are a couple of screenings I've heard rumblings about that I don't want to miss.

Edited by opus

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

The Movie Blog just posted an interview with Colin Geddes, the man behind the Midnight Madness program.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

The Movie Blog just posted an interview with Colin Geddes, the man behind the Midnight Madness program.

Thanks for that. I'm not a huge Midnight Madness person--both because I'm not a "genre" fan and because I like to get some sleep--but it's always fun to see what might be coming. I spent part of today reading through the Cannes coverage in the new Film Comment, and now I'm hoping, hoping for certain films to show up on the TIFF schedule.

J Robert

They've just announced the complete line-ups for the Visions and Discovery programs.

Edited by opus

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

The entire film list is now online!!!

I've listed all of the titles that have initially piqued my curiosity on my blog. Most of them shouldn't be too surprising... OldBoy, Ghost In The Shell 2, House Of Flying Daggers, etc. But there are also new films from Fridrik Thor Fridriksson (who directed Children Of Nature, one of my fave films of all time), David Gordon Green, Abbas Kiarostami, and a new short film from Wong Kar-Wai.

Edited by opus

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Great. This was going to be the year I was going to finally go. But I will settle for J. Robert's coverage, the Rotterdam festival in the Spring, and Flickerings next summer.

FWIW, I am expecting full coverage of the Chicago International Film Festival this year even though I won't be there. I am also always looking for festival coverage from anyone else willing to offer it.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Just got everything squared away, tickets-wise. I'll be arriving in Toronto on the 8th (after having spent 4 days in Seattle - whee!) and flying out on the 16th.

So... anyone up for catching a movie? biggrin.gif

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

I live in toronto and i've never been, its one of those things i never get around to, but that may change this year. So what are some tips to getting into the screenings and choosing which movies to see?

I was pretty surprised last year by how easy it was to get into screenings. Just walk up to the theatre that's showing the film you want to see and buy a ticket. In hindsight, sounds kind of silly, but I'd never been to a film festival before and so I assumed it was a good deal more complicated.

There are certain "buzz" films and premiers where you might need to get there early and wait in line (I'm basically assuming I'll need to get there very early to get tickets for House Of Flying Daggers, OldBoy, and I Heart Huckabees, among others). And if it's a really hot title and you didn't get tickets, there's usually some sort of overflow line for those who didn't get tickets the first time around. If seats open up, they start letting in people from the overflow.

BTW... the festival just launched their own online forum.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

J.Robert, where will your blog about the fest be posted? FilmJourney?

It'll probably be at a few different places. Doug is going to Toronto too this year, so I'm not sure how easy it'll be to post to his site. Mike H has offered to host the blog at Flickerings, and I'm sure the Tollbooth will carry it, too. But I'm not proprietary about it. Anyone who wants to put it up is free to. So if Leary wants to post it at Matthew's House, that'd be great. And if you have any interest, Jeffrey, I'll email you, as well.

I was pretty surprised last year by how easy it was to get into screenings. Just walk up to the theatre that's showing the film you want to see and buy a ticket. In hindsight, sounds kind of silly, but I'd never been to a film festival before and so I assumed it was a good deal more complicated.

Yeah, but I think it'll be harder this year. I know the passes and coupon books have already sold out, so attendance looks to be higher. Last year it was down on the SARS scare. sel, I'd encourage you to check out the website that opus posted above. The whole film lineup is there. Yes, it's intimidating, but find some films that look interesting to you. Then on Sept. 8, single tickets go on sale online. I'd encourage you to get online fairly early, as I wouldn't be surprised if a number of films sell out even before the fest begins.

On the other hand, even if a film sells out, you can always try rush tickets. To get those, you go to the theater 60-90 minutes before the show begins and stand in the rush line. Often two to three dozen in line will make it into the screening. An hour might sound like a long time, but I had some delightful experiences last year doing rush tickets. The stereotype about Canadians is true--they're generally extraordinarily friendly and pleasant.

opus, we'll have to compare notes on what films we're seeing. That way we can connect sometime while we're there. Doug Cummings and Darren Hughes don't post here much anymore, but they're going to Toronto, too. Anyone else on the board going?

J Robert

On the other hand, even if a film sells out, you can always try rush tickets. To get those, you go to the theater 60-90 minutes before the show begins and stand in the rush line. Often two to three dozen in line will make it into the screening. An hour might sound like a long time, but I had some delightful experiences last year doing rush tickets. The stereotype about Canadians is true--they're generally extraordinarily friendly and pleasant.

Yeah, I had some great experiences while waiting in line - talking about the films you've seen, getting recommendations, etc. And yes, Canadians are quite friendly. Who knew? wink.gif

Sucks about the online tickets going on sale September 8 - I'll be in the air the entire day. I might need to talk to my friend about picking some up for me, especially some of the gala screenings like House Of Flying Daggers.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Funny festival-related Q&A in the Toronto Star.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

That's hilarious...Geoff Pevere's answer to #19 is so true. laugh.gif

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

The schedule and schedule-maker is now online... though it's running a bit slow right now.

Edited by opus

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

J.Robert, where will your blog about the fest be posted? FilmJourney?

Just updating this info. The main blog will be at mike h's Flickerings site. I'm going to try to post to FilmJourney as well, but I can't guarantee it'll work. My plan is to write up a pre-fest post in the next couple days explaining what films I'm seeing and how I chose those. Then over the weekend, the real fest coverage will begin. Feel free to check it out and pass on the word.

Ok, shameless self-promotion over. A big thank you to Mike Hertenstein for his work on this.

J Robert

Just made it into Toronto after the flight from hell... I'll be posting reviews on my site and blogging on Twitch (a new site just started by one of the guys from the Movie Blog).

Said Movie Blog guy here ... recognize lots of names around here from my days writing for True Tunes ... I'll have to come by and peruse sometime when it's not pushing 2 am .... on a night when I have to get up at six ....

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

My blogging is now up over at Twitch. I'll also be posting full-length, more indepth reviews on my site once I get back from the festival.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

I just finished posting the first batch of my full-length reviews, in addition to my final report for Twitch. The rest should be appearing in the next few days or so, hopefully.

Edited by opus

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Other than our final wrap up everything's up now at Twitch ... reviews of everything viewed by myself, Opus and a couple other friends of mine. Probably 35 films or so ... I did 20 myself and I know Opus was close to that number and our schedules had surprisingly little overlap ... now if only I can convince them to give me a press pass next year ...

twitch

independent and cult film.

news. reviews. discussion.