Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brian D

Films that grow big on repeat views

5 posts in this topic

A fun topic I have long wanted to raise:

Many films leave us cold the 1st time we see them.  Only a select few of those, however, go on to take a place among our favorites or treasures on the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th viewing. 

Name some of the films that have been like this for you. If you'd like, you could also address why you think this change took place. Which time did it for you...2nd, 3rd, 7th?

The Social Network. First time I saw it I was...not unimpressed, but not overly impressed. It took reading the script and recognizing how sharp the dialogue is before I was able to really dig it.

Lost Highway. I'm a Lynch fan, but for the longest time I was a Lynch fan who didn't really like most of his movies. A span of about a decade and a second viewing substantially raised this movie in my regard.

My opinion of many of the Coens' films shifted from "meh" to "this is incredible" upon second and third viewings, particularly A Serious Man. Which makes me want to rewatch Hail, Caesar! to see if there's more there than I first recognized. There's something so off-putting about their approach that it takes me a few viewings to truly enjoy the experience, as well as notice the more subtle treasures in a performance, camera angle, or edit.

Blade Runner - first time it was a kind of cool dystopian fantasy, but that was it. I appreciated the complexities and internal conflicts of Deckard and Batty as well as Scott's brilliant visual construction of the film.

Persona - Took several viewings to fully appreciate the multiple layers to the characters and full implications of the plot

The Wolf of Wall Street - though it could have had 30-40 minutes cut the first time I saw it, but after realizing it's a film about excess and Scorsese's indicting the audience as well, a second viewing made everything click perfectly. (This election year admittedly helped too.)

Burn After Reading - amusingly haphazard on a first viewing. Repeat viewings have convinced me this is one of the Coens' funniest and most Coenesque as they find meaning in the madness of the selfish nihilism on display.

I liked Frankenheimer's RONIN the first time I saw it in theatre, but repeat viewings over the years have elevated it to the status of one of my favourite films of the 90s.