Oscars 2017: Best Animated Short

2017 Animated Short Oscar Contenders: A Record Number of Films Are Competing
This year, 70 animated shorts qualified for the best animated short category of the Academy Awards, a record-setting total for the category. It represents a significant bump from 2014 and 2015 when 58 and 60 shorts, respectively, qualified for the category, and more than double the amount from 2010, when only 33 films qualified.
Cartoon Brew, October 27

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 4 weeks later...

The shortlist:

• "Blind Vaysha," Theodore Ushev, director (National Film Board of Canada)
  • "Borrowed Time," Andrew Coats and Lou Hamou-Lhadj, directors (Quorum Films)
  • "Happy End," Jan Saska, director (FAMU - Film and TV School of the Academy of Performing Arts in Prague)
  • "The Head Vanishes," Franck Dion, director (Papy3D Productions, National Film Board of Canada and ARTE France Cinema Department)
  • "Inner Workings," Leo Matsuda, director, and Sean Lurie, producer (Walt Disney Animation Studios)
  • "Once upon a Line," Alicja Jasina, director (University of Southern California)
  • "Pear Cider and Cigarettes," Robert Valley, director, and Cara Speller, producer (Massive Swerve Studios and Passion Pictures Animation)
  • "Pearl," Patrick Osborne, director (Google Spotlight Stories/Evil Eye Pictures)
  • "Piper," Alan Barillaro, director, and Marc Sondheimer, producer (Pixar Animation Studios)
  • "Sous Tes Doigts (Under Your Fingers)," Marie-Christine Courtès, director, and Ludivine Berthouloux, art director (Vivement Lundi! and Novanima)

The only candidate that appears to be online in its entirety legitimately is this 360° Google video:

For the rest, we have trailers and clips:

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

The Annie Award nominees (with the ones I've seen in bold):

• Blind Vaysha - National Film Board of Canada
  • Deer Flower - Studio ZAZAC
  • Path Title Sequence - Acme Filmworks
  • Pearl - Google Spotlight Stories/Evil Eye Pictures
  • Piper - Pixar Animation Studios

Three of those films (Blind Vaysha, Pearl, Piper) are on the Oscar shortlist. The two that aren't are Deer Flower and Path Title Sequence.

The Annie Award winner will be announced February 4.

• 1 month later...

The nominees for the Oscar are (with the ones I've seen in bold):

• Blind Vaysha
  • Borrowed Time
  • Pear Cider and Cigarettes
  • Pearl
  • Piper

So, basically, three of the Annie Award nominees, with Borrowed Time and Pear Cider and Cigarettes taking the spots that the Annies gave to Deer Flower and Path Title Sequence (neither of which were on the Oscar shortlist).

You can see Pearl in its entirety above, and trailers or clips for the other four nominees.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2016 at 10:08 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Annie Award nominees (with the ones I've seen in bold):

• Blind Vaysha - National Film Board of Canada
  • Deer Flower - Studio ZAZAC
  • Path Title Sequence - Acme Filmworks
  • Pearl - Google Spotlight Stories/Evil Eye Pictures
  • Piper - Pixar Animation Studios

Three of those films (Blind Vaysha, Pearl, Piper) are on the Oscar shortlist. The two that aren't are Deer Flower and Path Title Sequence.

The Annie Award winner will be announced February 4.

And the winner is...

Well, technically the winner of Best Animated Short Subject is Pixar's Piper, *but* Google Spotlight's Pearl won Annie awards for Directing, Production Design and Music in an Animated Television/Broadcast Production, while Pear Cider and Cigarettes -- which was not nominated for the Annie in the Short Subject category but *is* nominated for the Oscar for Best Animated Short -- won the Annie award for Best Animated Special Production.

So, make of that what you will.