Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Middle Earth

Links to our threads on Fox Searchlight's Tolkien (in development) and some other company's Tolkien & Lewis (in development).

- - -

James Strong Set To Direct J.R.R. Tolkien Biopic ‘Middle Earth’; Bob Shaye, Michael Lynne Producing
EXCLUSIVE: UK director James Strong has signed on to direct Middle Earth, an epic story about author J.R.R. Tolkien and the tumultuous events that inspired his iconic novels The Hobbit and The Lord Of The Rings.
Strong’s credits include hit TV series Broadchurch and Downton Abbey as well as 2011 soccer feature United. He’ll direct Middle Earth from a script by Black List scribe Angus Fletcher, who gathered materials on Tolkien through six years of archival research and personal interviews. . . .
Story follows Tolkien’s early life and love affair with Edith Bratt, whom he later married. The couple lived happily in Oxford, surrounded by friends, but when war broke out in 1914 Tolkien embarked on four years of battle and hardship, an experience that influenced his Middle Earth stories. . . .
Deadline.com, November 7

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Interesting. My manager commented that, to the best of our knowledge, Tolkien doesn't seem to have a magisterial biography a la Ian Kerr's book on G.K. Chesterton, for instance, and there are a host of C.S. Lewis biographies such as Alister McGrath's and at least three biographies of the Inklings group.

He finds no mercy

And he's lost in the crowd

With an armoured heart of metal

He finds he's running out of odd-numbered daisies

From which to pull the petals

18 hours ago, winter shaker said:

Interesting. My manager commented that, to the best of our knowledge, Tolkien doesn't seem to have a magisterial biography a la Ian Kerr's book on G.K. Chesterton, for instance, and there are a host of C.S. Lewis biographies such as Alister McGrath's and at least three biographies of the Inklings group.

Tom Shippey's THE ROAD TO MIDDLE EARTH is very good. Humphrey Carpenter's Tolkien biography is also decent.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.