Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
J.A.A. Purves

The Crown (2016- )

5 posts in this topic

We've just started it and the first two episodes were surprisingly above average, both in plotting and acting.  Jared Harris is more moving here than I think I've ever seen him.  Lithgow is great fun as Churchill.  Foy and Smith are a complex pair, and they both communicate a great deal without words.  Anyone else started it yet?

My wife and 13 year-old daughter started it yesterday and are really enjoying it.  My wife couldn't say enough about Jared Harris's performance.  

We enjoyed it a lot, despite constant fact checking just to see where the narrative diverges a bit. There are a few outright beautiful moments, such as a hunting scene with George VI and a small flotilla of boats rowing through through a wide shot of an English river. The bits taking place in Africa are also well-crafted. But the 9th episode has a stunning conversation between Churchill and Sutherland during the sitting for his infamous portrait. Though purely conjectural, Lithgow captures so much in this discussion of his art - and what it might mean about him. A perfect clip to generate conversation about art and authorial intention.

Finally finished this one. Didn't find it utterly compelling, perhaps because although it is (as M. Leary says) beautifully filmed and has a few thoughtful moments, I still felt as if I were watching some kind of Masterpiece Theater "BEHIND THE SCENES AT BUCKINGHAM PALACE!"

Will I feel the same about Victoria, which starts on PBS next week? Probably not, as I've seen at least two other "young Victoria" movies/mini-series, and because they're all long dead and gone. The Crown felt a bit creepy because so many of these people are still with us, I guess.

Haven't seen the series yet, but your last comment, BethR, got me thinking about how the Queen -- who has been Queen all my life (I remember seeing all the 25th anniversary paraphrenalia when my family visited England in 1977) -- actually had professional dealings with Winston Churchill, who has always seemed to me like some iconic figure from the quasi-distant past (he died in 1965, five years before I was born). I imagine watching a series like this could be kind of strange, in the sense that there'd be lots of characters who have that "iconic figure from the quasi-distant feel" side-by-side with characters who are still very much alive today and having an impact of sorts on the world I live in.