Sign in to follow this  
Evan C

The Edge of Seventeen

Evan C   

We really don't have a thread for this? I know it's been discussed over the Ecumenical Jury thread, but it hasn't been discussed anywhere else?

Anyway, I kind of loved this, and I ended up writing a review.

Twice in the film, at the zenith of her depression, Nadine looks upward and exclaims, “Are you even up there?” How one views the answer to that prayer will probably depend on the perspective of each viewer, but given the moments of grace and compassion shown to Nadine, some of it quite unexpected, it is not difficult to see some providence guiding her life, especially in a final reconciliation between Nadine and another character which is one of the most heartwarming moments I’ve seen all year. Moments like that in the midst of the morbid humor make The Edge of Seventeen a poignant and rare coming of age story, as full of mixed emotions as its flawed and loveable protagonist.

Edited by Evan C

"This -- is the face of hope!"

One of the year's delights, to be sure. Also fun to spot the Vancouver elements (e.g. Duffin's Donuts, stickers for Shaw WiFi on the storefront windows, etc.).

Just got back from seeing it, and really enjoyed it. I'm feeling compelled to write something about the year 2016 as the year when "teen movies" fully grew up.

On 11/23/2016 at 5:30 PM, Peter T Chattaway said:

One of the year's delights, to be sure. Also fun to spot the Vancouver elements (e.g. Duffin's Donuts, stickers for Shaw WiFi on the storefront windows, etc.).

I noticed the Oregon license plates and thought, "Ah, another film set in Portland!" but then noticed the skyline for the city looked much different than Portland, and the neighborhoods looked a bit familiar from somewhere out of the past. Checked IMDB, and sure enough: filmed in Surrey, Port Moody, and Vancouver, BC.

On second viewing the film's tendency to underline its points is a bit more noticeable. (As Evan points out, the prayer is said twice, not once.) That means it doesn't benefit from repeat viewings as much as some films typically in my Top 10, but it still packs a lot of emotional punch. 

I find something a little unsatisfying about the denouement. Erwin's introducing her to friends and pulling her into circle seems to harken back to the party and could appear to be saying that Nadine is still dependent on guy/friend, just substituted one for the other. But the film is really smart about grief and depression, so big points for that. And I continue to think the of the scene in the Mercury as an answer to prayer even though I can't find anything overtly in the film that announces it as such...