Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Oscars 2017: Best Picture

The Screen Actors Guild has announced its nominees for the ensemble award, which is sort of their version of a "best picture" award:

• Captain Fantastic
  • Fences
  • Hidden Figures
  • Manchester by the Sea
  • Moonlight

The winner will be announced January 29.

My takeaway from that is the Best Picture race is down to Manchester by the Sea, Moonlight, and La La Land.

Captain Fantastic - too artsy for the Oscars
Fences - no one's seen it
Hidden Figures - too much of a comedy and too much of a  populist appeal for the Academy (based on what I saw in the trailers)

And even though La La Land didn't get a best ensemble nomination, my understanding is that the cast is really just Stone and Gosling, and both of them did get nominated, so if La La Land does well the DGA and PGA, it still has a good shot.

Evan C wrote:
: Fences - no one's seen it

I've seen it. I've even got it on DVD.

: And even though La La Land didn't get a best ensemble nomination, my understanding is that the cast is really just Stone and Gosling, and both of them did get nominated, so if La La Land does well the DGA and PGA, it still has a good shot.

Maybe. But it would be the first film to win Best Picture without a SAG ensemble nomination since 1995's Braveheart. And how many actors were there, really, in, say, The Artist?

6 hours ago, Peter T Chattaway said:

Evan C wrote:
: Fences - no one's seen it

I've seen it. I've even got it on DVD.

I was being hyperbolic to suggest that it's not well known enough to have a shot at Best Picture. I hadn't even heard of it before last week, and I have no idea what it's about. The only thing I know is it stars Denzel Washington and Viola Davis.

: And even though La La Land didn't get a best ensemble nomination, my understanding is that the cast is really just Stone and Gosling, and both of them did get nominated, so if La La Land does well the DGA and PGA, it still has a good shot.

Maybe. But it would be the first film to win Best Picture without a SAG ensemble nomination since 1995's Braveheart. And how many actors were there, really, in, say, The Artist?

The only reason I would still give La La Land a chance is that it's about show business, and we know how much the Academy loves movies about show business. If it were about anything else, I would say it's chances were finished.

Evan C wrote:
: I was being hyperbolic to suggest that it's not well known enough to have a shot at Best Picture. I hadn't even heard of it before last week, and I have no idea what it's about. The only thing I know is it stars Denzel Washington and Viola Davis.

It's an adaptation of a Tony- and Pulitzer-winning play.

: The only reason I would still give La La Land a chance is that it's about show business, and we know how much the Academy loves movies about show business.

Well, yes, but it's also a movie about an actress, and it's striking that the Screen Actors Guild basically blew it off (in favour of the distinctly non-buzzed-about at-least-until-now Captain Fantastic, of all things). And since the actors' branch is by far the biggest of the Academy's branches...

13 hours ago, Evan C said:

I was being hyperbolic to suggest that it's not well known enough to have a shot at Best Picture. I hadn't even heard of it before last week, and I have no idea what it's about. The only thing I know is it stars Denzel Washington and Viola Davis.

I've not seen the movie, but you owe it to yourself to read the play. It's good.

The Producers Guild Awards have announced their nominees:

• Arrival
  • Deadpool
  • Fences
  • Hacksaw Ridge
  • Hell or High Water
  • Hidden Figures
  • La La Land
  • Lion
  • Manchester By the Sea
  • Moonlight

Not surprisingly, four of the Screen Actors Guild ensemble-award nominees made the list, and Captain Fantastic did not.

The winner will be announced January 28.

On 12/15/2016 at 0:28 AM, Evan C said:

My takeaway from that is the Best Picture race is down to Manchester by the Sea, Moonlight, and La La Land.

Updated. The question now is: will Stone beat Portman, and will Gosling beat Affleck?

Edited by Evan C

The nominees for the Oscar are (with the ones I've seen in bold):

• Arrival
  • Fences
  • Hacksaw Ridge
  • Hell or High Water
  • Hidden Figures
  • La La Land
  • Manchester by the Sea
  • Lion
  • Moonlight

So, basically, all of the PGA nominees except for Deadpool. And four of the SAG ensemble award nominees are here too (all of 'em except for Captain Fantastic).

On 1/10/2017 at 9:57 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Producers Guild Awards have announced their nominees:

• Arrival
  • Deadpool
  • Fences
  • Hacksaw Ridge
  • Hell or High Water
  • Hidden Figures
  • La La Land
  • Lion
  • Manchester By the Sea
  • Moonlight

Not surprisingly, four of the Screen Actors Guild ensemble-award nominees made the list, and Captain Fantastic did not.

The winner will be announced January 28.

And the winner is... La La Land.

On 12/14/2016 at 7:42 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Screen Actors Guild has announced its nominees for the ensemble award, which is sort of their version of a "best picture" award:

• Captain Fantastic
  • Fences
  • Hidden Figures
  • Manchester by the Sea
  • Moonlight

The winner will be announced January 29.

And the winner is... Hidden Figures!

Again, not quite what I think anyone was expecting. By most metrics, La La Land is favoured to win the Oscar for Best Picture, but La La Land wasn't even *nominated* for the SAG ensemble award. And most of the "Best Picture shouldn't go to La La Land, it should go to THIS" chitchat has pointed in the direction of Moonlight. And everyone loves the actors in Manchester by the Sea. But Hidden Figures... huh.