The seven-movie shortlist:

• Deadpool
  • The Dressmaker
  • Florence Foster Jenkins
  • Hail, Caesar!
  • A Man Called Ove
  • Star Trek Beyond
  • Suicide Squad

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 3 weeks later...

The Make-Up Artists & Hairstylists Guild has announced its nominees:

1. FEATURE-LENGTH MOTION PICTURE – BEST CONTEMPORARY MAKE-UP
  • CAPTAIN FANTASTIC
  • LA LA LAND
  • MANCHESTER BY THE SEA
  • NOCTURNAL ANIMALS
  • ZOOLANDER 2
  1. FEATURE-LENGTH MOTION PICTURE – BEST CONTEMPORARY HAIR STYLING
  • LA LA LAND
  • NOCTURNAL ANIMALS
  • SULLY
  • THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN  
  • ZOOLANDER 2
  1. FEATURE-LENGTH MOTION PICTURE – BEST PERIOD AND/OR CHARACTER MAKE-UP
  • DOCTOR STRANGE
  • FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM
  • HAIL, CAESAR!
  • LOVING
  • SUICIDE SQUAD
  1. FEATURE-LENGTH MOTION PICTURE – BEST PERIOD AND/OR CHARACTER HAIR STYLING
  • FLORENCE FOSTER JENKINS
  • HAIL, CAESAR!
  • JACKIE
  • LOVING           

5. FEATURE-LENGTH MOTION PICTURE – BEST SPECIAL MAKE-UP EFFECTS 

• DEADPOOL
  • DOCTOR STRANGE                       
  • STAR TREK BEYOND
  • SUICIDE SQUAD           

So...

• Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them has 3 nominations,
  • Doctor Strange, Hail Caesar!, La La Land, LovingNocturnal Animals, Suicide Squad and Zoolander 2 have 2 nominations each, and
  • Captain Fantastic, Deadpool, Florence Foster Jenkins, The Girl on the Train, Jackie, Manchester by the Sea, Star Trek Beyond and Sully have 1 nomination each.

Interestingly, the film with the most nominations isn't even on the Oscar shortlist. And two of the seven films on the shortlist are not nominated by the guild for anything (said films being The Dressmaker and A Man Called Ove).

The winners will be announced February 19.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 2 weeks later...

The nominees for the Oscar are (with the ones I've seen in bold):

• A Man Called Ove
  • Star Trek Beyond
  • Suicide Squad

So, no love for the film that got the most guild nominations (but we already knew that, because it wasn't on the Oscar shortlist). A Man Called Ove didn't have any guild nominations at all, Star Trek Beyond had just one, and Suicide Squad had two.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/11/2017 at 11:28 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Make-Up Artists & Hairstylists Guild has announced its nominees: . . .

• Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them has 3 nominations,
  • Doctor Strange, Hail Caesar!, La La Land, LovingNocturnal Animals, Suicide Squad and Zoolander 2 have 2 nominations each, and
  • Captain Fantastic, Deadpool, Florence Foster Jenkins, The Girl on the Train, Jackie, Manchester by the Sea, Star Trek Beyond and Sully have 1 nomination each.

Interestingly, the film with the most nominations isn't even on the Oscar shortlist. And two of the seven films on the shortlist are not nominated by the guild for anything (said films being The Dressmaker and A Man Called Ove).

The winners will be announced February 19.

And the winners are...

• Best Contemporary Makeup: Nocturnal Animals
  • Best Contemporary Hairstyling: La La Land
  • Best Period and/or Character Makeup: Suicide Squad
  • Best Period and/or Character Hairstyling: Hail, Caesar!
  • Best Special Makeup Effects: Star Trek Beyond

So... Star Trek Beyond and Suicide Squad -- the two films that were nominated for both the Oscar and the guild awards -- actually won one guild award each. And in the one category where Star Trek Beyond and Suicide Squad were pitted against each other, Star Trek Beyond won.