Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Justin Hanvey

Richard Adams (1920-2016)

5 posts in this topic

Felt like this amazing, prolific, imaginative, eloquent, powerful, heartbreaking, beloved author deserves his own memorial here at Arts and Faith and not just a mention on Watership Down film's thread.

Many people will remember Adams as the author of Watership Down, and it is truly his magnum opus, but he wrote many great novels, one of the best, and perhaps least known being my other favorite of his, Shardik, about a warrior turned priest and a giant bear that the priest's people worship as a god. It's an incredible novel exploring faith and belief, doubt and religion, humanity and divinity. Definitely an amazing novel everyone should read.

Rest in peace Richard Adams.

Edited by Justin Hanvey

I admit to only knowing about him through reading Watership Down. I fear his passing will be neglected with Carrie Fisher's tragic death. This last week of 2016 has been hard (not to mention the passing of Leonard Cohen and Thomas Oden, at least for me two personally significant figures).

Watership Down is just a great, great classic - one of those novels which truly expand a child's mind and imaginative horizons.

The Plague Dogs has an element of interest for me, in that I've gone on half-a-dozen holidays to that area of the Lake District, and walked pretty much every acre of ground the story covers. Have to say I didn't really feel an emotional connection to the story, though.

I've often considered reading Shardik, but never got around to it yet. Maybe I'll do that next year as a tribute.

I'd highly recommend it. 

Plague Dogs looks interesting. I loved the bit about dialect. 

The only book of his I've read is Watership Down, but I saw the movie version of Plague Dogs, and for some reason the final shot reminds me of Children of Men...