Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

I Can Only Imagine

Links to our threads on Moms' Night Out (2014) and Woodlawn (2015). We don't seem to have a thread on October Baby (2011).

- - -

Faith-Based Film ‘I Can Only Imagine’ With Dennis Quaid, Cloris Leachman And Trace Adkins Eyes Spring 2018 Release
EXCLUSIVE: I Can Only Imagine, the next faith-based film directed by Jon and Andrew Erwin’s (Moms’ Night Out, Woodlawn), is now pegged to be released next Spring (2018). The fourth film from the brothers is based on the popular Christian song of the same name by Bart Millard and is based on his life. Dennis Quaid joined the cast yesterday and it also stars Trace Adkins (who was also in their film Mom’s Night Out) and Cloris Leachman. Broadway’s J. Michael Finley (Les Miserables) is making his screen debut in the film.
It will be interesting to see if the film, based on the story behind the song, will translate to the big screen. The fan base is certainly there. Millard’s song has topped multiple mainstream and Christian radio charts to become the most played Christian radio single in history, according to Billboard. In fact, I Can Only Imagine became the first Christian song digital download to be certified double platinum and boosted sales of the album, Almost There, to near triple platinum. . . .
Deadline.com, January 5

I have never been a fan of the song this movie is evidently based on. I wrote some other things, but decided it was better not to post them.

A trailer for this played before 15:17 to Paris (which is interesting, in a way). Still have no interest in seeing it, but thought I'd share, for anyone wondering how they're going to do this.

https://youtu.be/OsMyv9Q4_OU

Edited by BethR

I listened to the song for the first time a couple months ago, and found myself wondering why it was evidently such a big deal. (The song came out after I stopped listening to CCM, but my evangelical and ex-evangelical friends who are a decade or two younger than me say it was impossible to get away from this song when they were growing up.) To my ears it sounds like generic CCM... though I admit it lingered in my head for a few days afterwards.

Front page article from the North Carolina Baptist paper, the Biblical Recorder (which I receive as a courtesy as a faculty member at a sort of Baptist university):

In a conversation with the Biblical Recorder, Erwin said he and his brother, Jon, are ecstatic about the early response to the movie. The first trailer has received more than 43 million views on the Internet. “If you combined our other movies, they would add up to about a fourth of that,” Erwin said.

So, somebody wants to see this movie.