Oscars 2017: Best Director

The Directors Guild has announced its nominees.

Feature Film

• Damien Chazelle, La La Land
  • Garth Davis, Lion
  • Barry Jenkins, Moonlight
  • Kenneth Lonergan, Manchester by the Sea
  • Denis Villeneuve, Arrival

First-Time Feature Film

• Garth Davis, Lion
  • Kelly Fremon Craig, The Edge of Seventeen
  • Tim Miller, Deadpool
  • Nate Parker, The Birth of a Nation
  • Dan Trachtenberg, 10 Cloverfield Lane

Has a director been nominated in both categories before? It seems obvious to me that the winner of the First-Time Feature Film award would *have* to be the person who was also nominated for best overall Feature Film, but maybe there are precedents that point in another direction.

Interestingly, this appears to be the first DGA nomination for all of these filmmakers *except* for Garth Davis -- the guy nominated in both categories -- who was previously nominated for a commercial he made in 2009.

The winners will be announced February 4.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 2 weeks later...

The nominees for the Oscar are (with the ones I've seen in bold):

• Mel Gibson, Hacksaw Ridge

So, basically, four of the DGA nominees, with Gibson taking the spot that the DGA gave to Davis.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2017 at 10:37 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Directors Guild has announced its nominees.

Feature Film

• Garth Davis, Lion

First-Time Feature Film

• Garth Davis, Lion
  • Kelly Fremon Craig, The Edge of Seventeen
  • Tim Miller, Deadpool
  • Nate Parker, The Birth of a Nation
  • Dan Trachtenberg, 10 Cloverfield Lane

Has a director been nominated in both categories before? It seems obvious to me that the winner of the First-Time Feature Film award would *have* to be the person who was also nominated for best overall Feature Film, but maybe there are precedents that point in another direction.

Interestingly, this appears to be the first DGA nomination for all of these filmmakers *except* for Garth Davis -- the guy nominated in both categories -- who was previously nominated for a commercial he made in 2009.

The winners will be announced February 4.

And the winners are... Damien Chazelle for La La Land for the Feature Film award, and Garth Davis for Lion for the First-Time Feature Film award.