Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Arkadin

Arts & Faith Top 25 Films on "Waking Up" Nominations Thread

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

I read the rules in the opening post, but I thought the precedent was no movies from the previous calendar year, to avoid overenthusing about recent releases.

On 3/29/2017 at 9:14 AM, Mr. Arkadin said:

5) No films released after December 31, 2016 can be nominated. (Like last time, if there is a heavily advocated for exception, we’re open to allowing for it.)

I believe that was the case in previous list-making, which would bump back the date a year to December 2015. I'm open to adjusting for this if there's a consensus, which would mean my nominations of Arrival, The Fits, and The Edge of Seventeen wouldn't be considered. I'm much less open to including films which haven't been released or seen and placing them at #1 (r.e., the Wendell Berry documentary).

4 hours ago, Andrew said:

I read the rules in the opening post, but I thought the precedent was no movies from the previous calendar year, to avoid overenthusing about recent releases.

That was something I was a bit confused about, considering the way we did past lists.  But then, most of our past lists nominations were begun towards the end of a year and continued into the following year - for example, nominations for horror began in 2010 and ended in 2011, so we excluded films that came out in 2010.  Did we allow 2016 films because these nominations began in 2017?

3 hours ago, John Drew said:

Did we allow 2016 films because these nominations began in 2017.

That was my thinking.

We can adjust that depending on consensus.

7 hours ago, Mr. Arkadin said:

That was my thinking.

We can adjust that depending on consensus.

No, I wouldn't adjust.  The allowance makes sense, since we did start after the new year.  I think we did the same thing with Top 25 Films on Memory, since that list wasn't compiled beginning in one year and concluding in another.

I think the confusion may have come about because we started discussing possible topics in late 2016.

Edited by John Drew

BethR   

Second Gaslight.