Sign in to follow this  
Joel Mayward

Film Club April 2017: Cleo from 5 to 7

Brian D   

is there a person at Image who could tell us when/if the list might happen?  Is it possible the project got lost in a sea of projects, or perhaps instead that there is a plan for it to be done next spring at usual top 25 time?  I imagine some folks who voted and nominated films could get a bit discouraged by the long waiting period.

Film Club...I'll see if I can think of something.  The tricky thing for me is finding something you all haven't seen yet.  :) If my brain turns out to be blocked, I will surely ask for help!

Edited by Brian D

Rob Z   

I'll also try to watch whatever is chosen for the Film Club, although my academic term also just started and I'm already feeling my free time (aka film-watching time) slipping away. I really enjoyed the ones we watched earlier this year, but that also reminds me that I watched but never posted anything on the last Film Club selection!

8 hours ago, Brian D said:

is there a person at Image who could tell us when/if the list might happen?  Is it possible the project got lost in a sea of projects, or perhaps instead that there is a plan for it to be done next spring at usual top 25 time?  I imagine some folks who voted and nominated films could get a bit discouraged by the long waiting period.

This speaks my mind.

Brian D   

How about one of these for the next Film Club?

There are tons of wanna-see films I have avoided because it seems so many here have seen them.  I am assuming these I've chosen are lesser known to us, but I'll come up with a different list if you've seen all of these!

Le Silence de la Mer - Melville

Where is the Friend's Home - Kiarostami (may be harder to find, though it is streaming on Filmstruck)

I Live in Fear - Kurosawa (could be quite relevant and compelling given headlines this year)

High and Low - Kurosawa

Edited by Brian D

NBooth   

HIGH AND LOW is really great. 

Brian D   

Thanks, NBooth. Should we avoid it because you've already seen it, or would High and Low be your vote?

By the way, I should mention why these choices came to mind.

Le Silence de la Mer came up since it relates a bit to Image and A and F.  Kenneth Morefield (if I remember correctly) did an essay in the recent film issue of Image on that film. This one was his choice in the category of "the film that helps me live better." Intriguing. 

Though less seen, the Kiarastomi is thought by some to be one of his very best.

And Kurosawa because....you can really never stop exploring his deep well of great works.

I would be excited to go with any of these choices. 

Edited by Brian D

NBooth   
6 hours ago, Brian D said:

Thanks, NBooth. Should we avoid it because you've already seen it, or would High and Low be your vote?

I'm willing to watch any of them; High and Low is the only one I've seen, but if we went with it I'd be more than happy to re-watch. I mean,  Kurosawa! [I'd also be up for Melville]

Edited by NBooth

Rob Z   
14 hours ago, Brian D said:

By the way, I should mention why these choices came to mind.

Le Silence de la Mer came up since it relates a bit to Image and A and F.  Kenneth Morefield (if I remember correctly) did an essay in the recent film issue of Image on that film. This one was his choice in the category of "the film that helps me live better." Intriguing. 

Though less seen, the Kiarastomi is thought by some to be one of his very best.

And Kurosawa because....you can really never stop exploring his deep well of great works.

I would be excited to go with any of these choices. 

I haven't seen any, and I'd be excited to watch anything by these directors. I should be able to get them through my library or ILL.

I've only seen the Kiarostami, and would be willing to see any of them. HIGH AND LOW is high on my to-watch list for my PhD research, fwiw.

Brian D   

Let's go with High and Low. I was able to watch the first 30 minutes last week, enough to see that it's a great film for discussion. Also, enough to be able to say, "Kurosawa made a film like this?" The man had range. I'll try to start a thread soon.