Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Peter T Chattaway

Samson

5 posts in this topic

Link to our thread on Cecil B. DeMille's Samson & Delilah (1949).

Link to our thread on the Australian film Samson & Delilah (2009), which is *not* a Bible epic.

Link to our thread on Scott Silver's "futuristic" Samson movie.

Pure Flix, the studio behind God's Not Dead and The Case for Christ, is shooting a movie about Samson in South Africa right now, and several of the actors and extras have been posting behind-the-scenes pics to Instagram.

Interestingly, the actor who played Goliath in Of Kings and Prophets (2016) appears to be playing a Philistine in *this* movie, too. Unless he's an Israelite jailer, I guess.

Pure Flix's press release says the film is about "a man with supernatural strength who leads his enslaved tribe to victory over the mighty Philistine empire," which sounds a wee bit more triumphalistic than the Samson story in the Bible. (When does the biblical Samson actually *lead* anyone, for one thing? The one time the Bible describes him meeting a large group of Israelites, it is because they have decided to capture him and hand him over to the Philistines.) But I'm curious to see the film, at any rate.

Just as long as it isn't another disaster like David & Goliath... Which reminds me, Pure Flix is one of the growing number of entities that have been sued by Tim Chey (not merely *threatened* with a lawsuit, but actually sued!) and have succeeded in getting the lawsuit dismissed. (See also Netflix.)

The film has a website and a synopsis:

"A Hebrew with an unusual gift of strength must respond properly to the call of God on his life in order to lead his people out of enslavement. After his youthful ambition leads to a tragic marriage, his acts of revenge thrust him into direct conflict with the Philistine army. As his brother mounts a tribal rebellion, only Samson’s relationship with a Philistine temptress and his final surrender — both to the Philistines and to God —  turns imprisonment and blindness into final victory."

Samson has a brother? Samson's mother was barren and Samson was her miracle child, no?

Posted (edited)

If I ever read that Billy Zane has the line "It's a walk-off!" in this film, I'm there!

Edited by John Drew

Has Tim Chey been approached for a role in the Trump administration? Seriously. He has all the attractive traits.

Overstreet wrote:
: Has Tim Chey been approached for a role in the Trump administration? Seriously. He has all the attractive traits.

The best part is when he threatens to sue you for claiming falsely that he said something in an interview... and then you watch the interview and you see him saying the thing you said he said. Or when he accuses you of libel and then, in the very next breath, he admits that he did what you said he did.