Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Samson

Recommended Posts

Link to our thread on Cecil B. DeMille's Samson & Delilah (1949).

Link to our thread on the Australian film Samson & Delilah (2009), which is *not* a Bible epic.

Link to our thread on Scott Silver's "futuristic" Samson movie.

Pure Flix, the studio behind God's Not Dead and The Case for Christ, is shooting a movie about Samson in South Africa right now, and several of the actors and extras have been posting behind-the-scenes pics to Instagram.

Interestingly, the actor who played Goliath in Of Kings and Prophets (2016) appears to be playing a Philistine in *this* movie, too. Unless he's an Israelite jailer, I guess.

Pure Flix's press release says the film is about "a man with supernatural strength who leads his enslaved tribe to victory over the mighty Philistine empire," which sounds a wee bit more triumphalistic than the Samson story in the Bible. (When does the biblical Samson actually *lead* anyone, for one thing? The one time the Bible describes him meeting a large group of Israelites, it is because they have decided to capture him and hand him over to the Philistines.) But I'm curious to see the film, at any rate.

Just as long as it isn't another disaster like David & Goliath... Which reminds me, Pure Flix is one of the growing number of entities that have been sued by Tim Chey (not merely *threatened* with a lawsuit, but actually sued!) and have succeeded in getting the lawsuit dismissed. (See also Netflix.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The film has a website and a synopsis:

"A Hebrew with an unusual gift of strength must respond properly to the call of God on his life in order to lead his people out of enslavement. After his youthful ambition leads to a tragic marriage, his acts of revenge thrust him into direct conflict with the Philistine army. As his brother mounts a tribal rebellion, only Samson’s relationship with a Philistine temptress and his final surrender — both to the Philistines and to God —  turns imprisonment and blindness into final victory."

Samson has a brother? Samson's mother was barren and Samson was her miracle child, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I ever read that Billy Zane has the line "It's a walk-off!" in this film, I'm there!

Edited by John Drew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has Tim Chey been approached for a role in the Trump administration? Seriously. He has all the attractive traits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overstreet wrote:
: Has Tim Chey been approached for a role in the Trump administration? Seriously. He has all the attractive traits.

The best part is when he threatens to sue you for claiming falsely that he said something in an interview... and then you watch the interview and you see him saying the thing you said he said. Or when he accuses you of libel and then, in the very next breath, he admits that he did what you said he did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mrmando   

 

On 7/10/2017 at 8:59 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

Overstreet wrote:
: Has Tim Chey been approached for a role in the Trump administration? Seriously. He has all the attractive traits.

The best part is when he threatens to sue you for claiming falsely that he said something in an interview... and then you watch the interview and you see him saying the thing you said he said. Or when he accuses you of libel and then, in the very next breath, he admits that he did what you said he did.

My favorite part is when he denies associating film criticism with the devil on one page, and then calls film critics "diabolical" on another page. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mrmando   
On 7/3/2017 at 3:14 PM, Peter T Chattaway said:

Samson has a brother? Samson's mother was barren and Samson was her miracle child, no?

Judges 16:31:  "Then his [Samson's] brothers and his father’s whole family went down to get him. They brought him back and buried him between Zorah and Eshtaol in the tomb of Manoah his father. He had led[d] Israel twenty years."

That's the first mention in Judges of Samson's siblings. 

Judges doesn't mention the name of Samson's mother. Evidently she had more sons after Samson; or she died and Manoah married someone else; or Manoah had more than one wife.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mrmando said:

Judges 16:31:  "Then his [Samson's] brothers and his father’s whole family went down to get him. They brought him back and buried him between Zorah and Eshtaol in the tomb of Manoah his father. He had led[d] Israel twenty years."

That's the first mention in Judges of Samson's siblings. 

Judges doesn't mention the name of Samson's mother. Evidently she had more sons after Samson; or she died and Manoah married someone else; or Manoah had more than one wife.  

Samuel was the miracle baby.  Same first three letters, and its OT, so I feel you, Peter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mrmando   

No, no, Peter is quite correct about the miracle-baby part of the story. See Judges 13. 

 

The Samuel story is complicated by the presence of a second wife who mocks the first wife's barrenness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Indeed, you are correct!  The theme of miracle babies has confused me! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mrmando wrote:
: Judges doesn't mention the name of Samson's mother. Evidently she had more sons after Samson; or she died and Manoah married someone else; or Manoah had more than one wife.  

Or the word translated "brothers" refers to kinsmen in general. Hmmm. This is starting to feel vaguely reminiscent of the debate around' Jesus "brothers".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mrmando   

Well, whatever other departures the film makes from the text, we can at least say there's a textual precedent for Samson having a brother. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×