Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tyler

Mother! (Darren Aronofsky)

9 posts in this topic

The first teaser:

A second poster is here:

dgmxhskuaaaleey.jpg

Indiewire has an interesting article about "easter eggs" found within the posters, which may give hints about Aronofsky's enigmatic film:

All of these easter eggs are cryptic and will probably make more sense once the movie is released, but the one hidden detail both posters share might be the most revealing. Each one sheet includes a lock with an image on it that looks extremely like the symbol for Pisces. The zodiac character for Pisces is two fish, and the implication of what this easter egg could mean starts to tease something ambitious about “mother!”

The legend of Pisces tells the story of Aphrodite, the goddess of love and beauty, and her son, Eros. Depending on which legend you’re reading, the two either turned into fishes or were rescued by two fish after Typhon, the deadliest monster in Greek mythology, descended on Mount Olympus seeking destruction. “mother!” probably isn’t going to be a retelling of the Pisces myth, but it can’t be a coincidence that one poster features Lawrence (a goddess of beauty) and the other a baby (a.k.a. Eros). The “uninvited guests” who “disturb” the character’s existence sound a lot like Typhon, too.

Pisces can also refer to the astrological age, which began 1 AD and will end 2150 AD. Because this age includes the birth of Christ, many symbols in Christianity use the image of fishes to represent Jesus. Aronofsky has long been obsessed with Biblical themes — they’ve showed up in everything from “Pi” to “Noah” — and it now seems very likely that “mother!” will be no exception. The Pisces lock could mean “mother!” will be Aronofsky’s most subversively Biblical movie to date.

It's all a bit speculative, but "most subversively Biblical movie to date" has piqued my interest.

Aronofsky himself seems to be hinting that IndieWire hasn't *quite* seen what we're supposed to be seeing in the posters...

Posted (edited)

The trailer:

"Director of Requiem for a Dream and Black Swan." There's a Rosemary's Baby vibe with this. Also listed in the cast credits at IMDB: Domhnall Gleeson and Kristin Wiig. 

Edited by Joel Mayward

On 8/5/2017 at 0:18 PM, Peter T Chattaway said:

Aronofsky himself seems to be hinting that IndieWire hasn't *quite* seen what we're supposed to be seeing in the posters...

I don't know, but the first thing I think of when seeing the Jennifer Lawrence poster is this, which would be a very interesting take on mothering:

in-space-no-one-can-hear-you-scream-10-m

Evan C wrote:
: I don't know, but the first thing I think of when seeing the Jennifer Lawrence poster is this, which would be a very interesting take on mothering:

That came to my mind too, and it actually worries me, because I feel like the whole baby-as-parasite thing has been *done*.

Of course, as a Noah aficianado, I am curious to see how *this* film's portrayal of domestic horror and (possibly) pregnancy will compare to the third act of Aronofsky's last film, where pregnancy is a miraculous positive good and it is only the quasi-genocidal patriarch who thinks otherwise.

(Side note: the title is actually mother!, not Mother!.)