Sign in to follow this  
kenmorefield

Congratulations, Joel.

I suspect this should go in "About You" somewhere, but I couldn't find a Joel specific thread there, so I just thought I'd use this one to congratulate Joel on being accepted into the Online Film Critics Society. Good work, Joel!

Thanks Ken! I applied way back in February and hadn't heard anything since, and I assumed I didn't make the cut, so it was good news to receive today.

I like the name of this thread. :) I may post updates here on my Dardennes-related PhD stuff in the future, should anyone be interested.

I thought about starting a thread under "About You" called "All Things Joel," but I figured that would be cheeky. 

Just as an academic update: I've had a paper accepted into the International Religion & Film Conference happening in Toronto this year, so if there are Toronto-based A&F folks, it'd be great to connect.

Also, I was accepted into membership with INTERFILM, the international network aiming to connect the church and film, mainly by participating in film festivals as ecumenical juries and awarding prizes.

Finally, if someone here in academia wants to move to St Andrews, the Institute of Theology, Imagination, and the Arts is hiring a Lecturer in Theology and the Arts.

Since moving to St Andrews, I've had the pleasure of meeting a few A&F members face to face. First, Joel Clarkson is also in the Institute for Theology, Imagination and the Arts, so we connected last fall; he's finishing up his masters and I believe will be doing a PhD in ITIA as well. Then, a few weeks ago, I met Anders Bergstrom in Toronto during the Religion & Film Conference; he presented an insightful paper on Mad Men and the documentaries of Adam Curtis, and it was great to discuss film theory and grab a drink at TIFF Lightbox. Today, I met Brian Duignan and his lovely family as they visit friends in Scotland and were able to come by St Andrews; we had a great conversation about life as ex-pats and the wonderful films of the Dardennes.

The Internet can be terrible, but it can also be good. I'm thankful the connections this A&F forum has fostered.

20 hours ago, Joel Mayward said:

Since moving to St Andrews, I've had the pleasure of meeting a few A&F members face to face. First, Joel Clarkson is also in the Institute for Theology, Imagination and the Arts, so we connected last fall; he's finishing up his masters and I believe will be doing a PhD in ITIA as well. Then, a few weeks ago, I met Anders Bergstrom in Toronto during the Religion & Film Conference; he presented an insightful paper on Mad Men and the documentaries of Adam Curtis, and it was great to discuss film theory and grab a drink at TIFF Lightbox. Today, I met Brian Duignan and his lovely family as they visit friends in Scotland and were able to come by St Andrews; we had a great conversation about life as ex-pats and the wonderful films of the Dardennes.

The Internet can be terrible, but it can also be good. I'm thankful the connections this A&F forum has fostered.

I just want to chime in to say meeting Joel was great. He's thoughtful and friendly in person and he gave what was definitely one of the best papers at the conference on the films of the Dardennes as parable, through Paul Ricouer's understanding of the parable form. It was insightful and compelling, enhancing my already healthy appreciation for the directors. Thanks, Joel!