18. The Truman Show (Weir, 1998) Rushmore
  19. The New World (Malick, 2005) Brian D
  20. Fearless (Weir, 1993) John Drew
  21. Punch-Drunk Love (Anderson, 2002) John Drew
  22. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Spielberg, 1977) Anders
  23. Pan's Labyrinth (Del Toro, 2006) Evan C
  24. Knight of Cups (Malick, 2015) Anders
  25. The Tree of Life (Malick, 2011) Joel Mayward

Please keep the results to yourselves until the Image webpage is up. Greg has promised he will get on that once we've submitted all the write-ups.

For requesting write-ups, priority will be given first to the nominator, then to the seconder, then to whomever asks for it first. If two people really want the same film, please discuss it among yourselves and see if one of you would be willing to take another film. A film is not assigned until it has been crossed out and the assigned A&F member's name written next to it.

For submitting the write-ups either email me or use messenger here.

Remember, write-ups are short, one paragraph, about 120-150 words. If you volunteer for a write-up, aim to have it completed in three weeks.

Also, was it a 2 or 3 film limit per director? If 2, the next two films are Groundhog Day and Tender Mercies.

Edited by Evan C

SDG   

I will do one blurb for any of the following: 

Spirited Away

Arrival 

This is Martin Bonner 

The Truman Show 

Evan C   

I'll write one or two.

My first choices are The Double Life of Veronique and The Assassin, but I'd be equally happy with The Insider, Red Beard, or Pan's Labyrinth.

I'll put my name in for Fearless and Punch-Drunk Love. (If Fearless is dropped because it crosses the limit of number of films one director can have on the list, I'd also consider doing Arrival)

Edited by John Drew

BethR   

I’m pretty sure it was two films per director. Someone will correct me if that’s wrong, of course. This is a good list, but i’d love to see Groundhog Day and Tender Mercies make the cut.

From the posted rules in the nominations thread:

On 29/03/2017 at 5:14 PM, Mr. Arkadin said:

There is no limit on nominating films from the same director; however, only the top three vote-getters per director will be allowed on the final list.

So, three Weirs and three Malicks is possible. I'm happy to see Something, Anything in such a prominent place on the list.

I can do two blurbs: Arrival and The Tree of Life. Or, if it's available, Something, Anything.

Evan, I nominated Double Life of Veronique, but I defer to you for blurb-writing.

Anders   

I can do any of the following, but not more than two:

KNIGHT OF CUPS

PAN'S LABYRINTH

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND

MALCOLM X

ARRIVAL

SPIRITED AWAY

THE INSIDER

Rob Z   

Great list!

I can do a write-up of Ikiru. Glad to see it at the top!

I'd also be interested in doing a write-up of Joe Versus the Volcano.

I have only a little experience writing about film. What are the goals/guidelines/parameters for the write-ups?

Evan C   
11 minutes ago, Rob Z said:

Great list!

I can do a write-up of Ikiru. Glad to see it at the top!

I'd also be interested in doing a write-up of Joe Versus the Volcano.

I have only a little experience writing about film. What are the goals/guidelines/parameters for the write-ups?

You can look at past examples here: https://www.imagejournal.org/the-top-25-films-on-mercy/

The usual guideline is provide an extremely succinct summery of what the movie is about, and then describe why it's a fitting choice for the list, but people have always varied that slightly. If you wrote a defense of your nominations in the "discussions" thread, that would probably be a good starting place.

And sorry about giving away Red Beard before you commented; I wanted anyone who requested specific films to be able to start writing.

Edited by Evan C

Rob Z   
5 minutes ago, Evan C said:

You can look at past examples here: https://www.imagejournal.org/the-top-25-films-on-mercy/

The usual guideline is provide an extremely succinct summery of what the movie is about, and then describe why it's a fitting choice for the list, but people have always varied that slightly. If you wrote a defense of your nominations in the "discussions" thread, that would probably be a good starting place.

And sorry about giving away Red Beard before you commented; I wanted anyone who requested specific films to be able to start writing.

Great, thanks--that's helpful.

No worries about Red Beard.  I didn't even know you'd assigned it, I just had the same idea to let others know I wasn't attached to writing that one up if others were eager :)

I will do any 2 of the following:

• Spirited Away
  • The Secret of Kells
  • Wings of Desire
  • Pan's Labyrinth

M. Leary   

Happy to do 2-3 of the following:

1. Spirited Away (Miyazaki, 2001)
  2. The Insider (Mann, 1999)
  3. Cleo from 5 to 7 (Varda, 1962)
  4. Picnic at Hanging Rock (Weir, 1975)

NBooth   

I can do The Assassin or Cleo.

Edited by NBooth

Rushmore   

If anyone's interested in a data dump: I believe this has fewer unique films than any previous 25. Ikiru and Wings of Desire have been on every version of the top 100 (the former has always been in the top 15). The Double Life of Veronique, The Trial, Spirited Away, and The New World were on the 2011 list. Spirited Away was also on the Mercy list and The New World on the 2010 list. The Truman Show was on the 2004 and Comedy lists. Fearless was on 2004 and 2006. Punch-Drunk Love was on 2010, 2004, and Comedies. The Tree of Life was on Memory. There's no overlap with the Horror, Road, or Marriage lists.

Here's a spreadsheet with all the lists.

I can write up The Truman Show if no one wants it.

Edited by Rushmore

Brian D   

I would be happy to do The New World

Tempted to do Close Encounters but not sure I can articulate the waking up angle without tying myself in knots.  So can't go in for that one just yet.

Here's to giving Jeremy a chance to choose Joe Versus the Volcano because that was one of the core films he suggested for this list when he proposed the idea.

Edited by Brian D

Evan C   
1 hour ago, Brian D said:

I would be happy to do The New World

Tempted to do Close Encounters but not sure I can articulate the waking up angle without tying myself in knots.  So can't go in for that one just yet.

Here's to giving Jeremy a chance to choose Joe Versus the Volcano because that was one of the core films he suggested for this list when he proposed the idea.

The New World is yours then. I've been holding Joe Versus the Volcano for Jeremy, but if I don't hear from him soon, I'll have to assign it to someone else.

I'm not too worried about finding a writer for Close Encounters; worst case scenario, I could pretty easily swing something myself for it.

Edited by Evan C

Anders   

I’d actually like to swap Malcolm X for Close Encounters if I could. I feel more enthusiastic about articulating its place in our list, as I’m more familiar with it as a film. 

Evan C   
2 hours ago, Anders said:

I’d actually like to swap Malcolm X for Close Encounters if I could. I feel more enthusiastic about articulating its place in our list, as I’m more familiar with it as a film. 

Fine with me.

EdB99   

Looks like I got here a little late, but it looks like Malcolm X (which I nominated) and Joe vs. the Volcano are still available. I'd love to do both of them if possible.

Evan C   
3 hours ago, EdB99 said:

Looks like I got here a little late, but it looks like Malcolm X (which I nominated) and Joe vs. the Volcano are still available. I'd love to do both of them if possible.

You can absolutely do Malcolm X. I'm going to leave Joe Vs... another 24 hours, hoping we hear from Jeremy. But if not, Rob Z asked for it first, so I'm going to give it to him, unless he offers it to you.