Joel Mayward

2017 Arts & Faith Ecumenical Jury Nominations and Discussion Thread

Evan C   

Because of your nomination, Ken, I am going to watch The Boss Baby before the nominations close.

Also, I'm not sure I've seen any film this year more enjoyable than Valerian.

Evan C   

I second Hunter Gatherer and 20th Century Women. I really encourage everyone to check out Hunter Gatherer; it's the sort of quiet look at misfortune, obsession, and attempting to change your life after you've constructed a rut for yourself that seems right up our collective alley.

M. Leary   
11 hours ago, Evan C said:

I second Hunter Gatherer and 20th Century Women. I really encourage everyone to check out Hunter Gatherer; it's the sort of quiet look at misfortune, obsession, and attempting to change your life after you've constructed a rut for yourself that seems right up our collective alley.

And a really wild score to push the whole thing along. Andre Royo here is one of my favorite performances of the year. Glad you also caught this one.

I could have sworn I watched 20th Century Women during the mad rush to see as many films as possible before *last* year's awards. (And I remember liking it, too.)

3 hours ago, Peter T Chattaway said:

I could have sworn I watched 20th Century Women during the mad rush to see as many films as possible before *last* year's awards. (And I remember liking it, too.)

From IMDB, the release date schedule: 

Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 07.00.39.png

It was also nominated for a 2017 Oscar and a Golden Globe, and was nominated or won for a variety of 2016 critics' list awards. So I'd be very hesitant to consider it a 2017 film.

Edited by Joel Mayward

Many of the critics' groups got FYC screeners for 20th Century Women, so it's quite possible Peter did screen it in the mad rush before some other awards.

I don't know if it is because I had only an abbreviated stint at TIFF this year or if things are really wide open, but I feel very lost. I usually come home from TIFF with a pretty clear idea of frontrunners and favorites, but I got the A24 FYC package in the mail today and was looking at the titles and thinking, "Have I even heard of these movies?" Menashe, Good Time, It Comes at Night, The Lovers, The Ballad of Lefty Brown.

I've got like 60 titles and very little indication of how to prioritize...so beyond nominations if anyone wants to put in an enthusiasm metric for stuff that has been nominated, I'm certainly willing to hear it. 

Has anyone else seen The Breadwinner

It's emotionally devastating animated tale set in contemporary Iran. I guess the most obvious point of comparison would be Persepolis. I esteem the film, but I am still not sure if it is something I necessarily recommend for a Christian audience. We've had films that depict World Religion before (Timbuktu; Gett), but some of those have generated discussion about how or why the depiction of another religious community is relevant to Christian audiences. 

On 11/2/2017 at 10:31 PM, kenmorefield said:

I nominate Roman J. Israel, Esq. 

There is some obvious religious language in a story arc about tensions between the law and grace (Roman/Israel, get it?). 

Second.