Joel Mayward

2017 Arts & Faith Ecumenical Jury Nominations and Discussion Thread

On 11/30/2017 at 3:55 PM, Joel Mayward said:

A note about Hunter Gatherer: IMDB has it as a 2016 film (see the release dates below). So, unfortunately, I don't think it's eligible for this year's list.

Edit: the same should be noted for Aquarius, which had a limited US release on 14 October 2016 (also played Cannes, TIFF, VIFF, and NYFF in 2016).

I will try to continue looking through the list of seconded films to make sure we're only including eligible films from 2017 on our list of films to vote for.

Hi Joel, 

I have no particular emotional investment in HG, but in the past we've sort of gone by the first-time festival, theatrical, or dvd release to allow for films that made Oscar qualifyng runs the year before but were not widely accessible to those without screeners. (I'm thinking of Selma, which got traction among the people who saw it but was largely unseen by voters at time of voting.)

Not saying you should do it that way, but historically what determined eligibility was whatever the foreperson (in this case you) said was eligible. 

9 hours ago, kenmorefield said:

Not saying you should do it that way, but historically what determined eligibility was whatever the foreperson (in this case you) said was eligible. 

In the initial post, I wrote this on qualifying films "a first time theatrical, DVD/Blu-ray, streaming, or festival release in the 2017 calendar year." Like Twin Peaks: The Return or Patton Oswalt: Annihilation, I trust the jury members' voting for what we collectively think should be included on a 2017 film list. If Hunter Gatherer, Aquarius, or other films were unavailable to viewers apart from online streaming until 2017, and they're nominated and get the votes, then I'm totally good with that. It all gets complicated with tracking festival, theatrical, and/or streaming releases. 

All that being said, I also hope our list would be a selection of what was best of *2017* films, which is what prompted my post--I watched Hunter Gatherer, went to look up details about it on IMDB, and found its US festival and theatrical release dates as 2016. And I'm going by US release dates despite currently living in the UK, where we already have Paddington 2, but we won't have Lady BirdThree Billboards, or Phantom Thread until February 2018.

On 11/13/2017 at 12:27 PM, Josh Cabrita said:

Hi all, and thanks for having me on board, Joel!

I'll second the following: Milla, 24 Frames, Good Time, Sleep Has Her House, Split, Western (all of which are in my top 15 of the year).

A few other nominations:

Call Me by Your Name (Guadagnino)

Ex Libris: The New York Public Library (Wiseman)

On the Beach at Night Alone (Hong)

Zama (Martel)

Princess Cyd (Cone)

Second "On the Beach at Night Alone." I'd love to nominate Hong's 2017 film "The Day After," which I preferred to "Beach," but it looks as though "Day" doesn't have an official opening date in the U.S. this calendar year.

M. Leary   
On 12/1/2017 at 5:10 PM, kenmorefield said:

Hi Joel, 

I have no particular emotional investment in HG, but in the past we've sort of gone by the first-time festival, theatrical, or dvd release to allow for films that made Oscar qualifyng runs the year before but were not widely accessible to those without screeners. (I'm thinking of Selma, which got traction among the people who saw it but was largely unseen by voters at time of voting.)

Yeah, it does look like it had some sort of very limited release in 2016 (Box Office Mojo has zero recorded stats for this release) - though D'Angelo has it on his NYC release list for 2017. I follow the latter but I don't see why that has to be the standard for this jury. Feel free to pull it from the nominations if you think that advisable.

20 hours ago, M. Leary said:

Yeah, it does look like it had some sort of very limited release in 2016 (Box Office Mojo has zero recorded stats for this release) - though D'Angelo has it on his NYC release list for 2017. I follow the latter but I don't see why that has to be the standard for this jury. Feel free to pull it from the nominations if you think that advisable.

Not to belabor this, but looking at Mike D'Angelo's NYC releases page, I can't find Hunter Gatherer nor Aquarius listed. However, Hunter Gatherer appears on the 2016 list on Nov 18, Aquarius on Oct 14.

On the Beach at Night Alone has a 2017 release for both D'Angelo and IMDB, so feel free to nominate it!

FWIW, I'm basing the US release dates on IMDB, with D'Angelo's list as a secondary source. But as I said above, I ultimately trust the jury members' judgment and perspective in voting.

M. Leary   

Ah, must have looked at the wrong list for Hunter Gatherer. Such a shame, as this one really fell through the distribution cracks.

And I think Aquarius did have a run in 2016, but am not sure. Again, feel free to pull whatever you think best.

I second The Florida Project. I've updated the nominations page, and have left Aquarius and Hunter Gatherer--they're both films worth watching and contemplating, they just aren't necessarily *2017* films, so vote accordingly. :) 

5 hours ago, kenmorefield said:

Bi-weekly reminder that nobody has seconded The Boss Baby yet....

Unfortunately, it's not streaming on Netflix UK.