Sign in to follow this  
Tyler

Rian Johnson's Star Wars Trilogy

NBooth   
2 hours ago, Tyler said:

Rian Johnson is going to create a new Star Wars trilogy that will introduce "new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored."

As dubious as I've become about DisneyWars, this is exactly the direction they should take. Not more Han Solo/Boba Fett/Pruneface spinoffs. 

If Johnson wants to hear my ideas for a  noir flick set on Coruscant during the Clone Wars, he can feel free to reach out to me. 

Links to the threads on Episode I, Episode II, Episode III, Episode IV, Episode V, Episode VI, Episode VII, Episode VIII, Episode IX and the 2004 and 2006 editions of Episodes IV-VI on DVD and the 2011 edition of Episodes I-VI on Blu-Ray, as well as The Clone Wars, Rebels and the various rumoured other TV series (plus one quasi-duplicate thread on the comedy series) and spin-off movies (like Rogue One, Solo and the Obi-Wan Kenobi movie).

See also the threads on 'Star Wars Debate Redux' (which began as a place to bash Episode II; Jul 2003 - Aug 2015), 'Sci fi = spiritual? Star Wars, X2, etc.' (Apr 2004), 'Best Star Wars Movie?' (with poll; Apr 2004 - Jan 2014), 'Top 100 Discussion: The Star Wars original trilogy?' (May 2004), 'Is Star Wars Blasphemous?' (Jun 2005 - Feb 2010), 'Star Wars in 20 minutes' (Aug 2006) and 'Star Wars: Uncut' (Apr 2010).

- - -

NBooth wrote:
: If Johnson wants to hear my ideas for a  noir flick set on Coruscant during the Clone Wars, he can feel free to reach out to me. 

Does noir really lend itself to trilogies, though? Noir is existential, fatalistic, cyclical (many noir films begin at the end and then jump back to the beginning, and because the ending is already set in stone, we know that the fates of these characters are sealed; there is no escaping what will happen to them, etc.). Trilogies, on the other hand, tend to have linear arcs that point towards some sort of resolution. (Though I guess the prequel trilogy didn't, because -- as with noir -- the fates of the key characters were set in stone before the trilogy even began.)

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

NBooth   

Counterpoint: the Red Riding trilogy. 

NBooth   
43 minutes ago, Peter T Chattaway said:

NBooth wrote:
: Counterpoint: the Red Riding trilogy. 

Still haven't seen that.

I need to rewatch it. It's been a couple of years and I want to see how it holds up. 

Anodos   
On 11/10/2017 at 1:31 AM, NBooth said:

As dubious as I've become about DisneyWars, this is exactly the direction they should take. Not more Han Solo/Boba Fett/Pruneface spinoffs. 

If Johnson wants to hear my ideas for a  noir flick set on Coruscant during the Clone Wars, he can feel free to reach out to me. 

I do agree that if they're going to make Star Wars into a movie factory they need new wells to draw from.

One thing I'd love to see in the SW Galaxy is characters with an actual interior life. People who care about different aspects of existence, and aren't simply defined by their relationship to a political power-struggle. Much as I love Star Wars the world it inhabits is surprisingly empty and weightless - where's the sense of history behind these people and places? Not the immediate family history - I AM your father - but the accumulated wisdom and richness and burden of long, deep history which shapes a collective society.

This is one thing Lord of the Rings, for example, manages to convey much better. Tolkien's training as a philologist meant he instinctively looked at the background detail of things - seeing the beginning from the end, as it were, which is sometimes just as tricky as vice-versa.

(Oh, and I'd be well on board with a noir stand-alone, if placed in the right hands.)

Anodos wrote:
: People who care about different aspects of existence, and aren't simply defined by their relationship to a political power-struggle.

Um, well, the franchise *is* called Star *Wars*...

Anodos   
On 11/12/2017 at 1:11 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

Anodos wrote:
: People who care about different aspects of existence, and aren't simply defined by their relationship to a political power-struggle.

Um, well, the franchise *is* called Star *Wars*...

Yes, and Sauron is hardly the protagonist of Lord of the Rings. I wouldn't get hung up on strict adherence to the veracity of a title. At this point 'Star Wars' is shorthand for an entire universe, and I'd just like to see it explored with a little more variety. Force Awakens was such a cautious retread of previous entries - I'm hoping to see something of a departure starting next month.

Anodos wrote:
: Yes, and Sauron is hardly the protagonist of Lord of the Rings.

True, but he *is* the *antagonist*, and none of the other stories set in Middle-Earth are named after him (to my knowledge).