Sign in to follow this  
Joshua Wilson

24 FRAMES

I got to see 24 FRAMES last night, unfortunately as I was drowsy from physical exhaustion.

It's definitely food for thought, and a fascinating new variation on themes that Kiarostami has explored on very different ways before in his career.

My initial notes towards a coherent thought on Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/magadizer/film/24-frames-2017/

I saw this at VIFF a few months ago -- one of the very, very few films I managed to see at VIFF this year -- and I remember liking it, but I neglected to write down the reasons why. And reading your Letterboxd review, I still can't remember why, because there aren't really any specifics there. I vaguely recall noting the recurring presence of windows and animals or something like that, though, and I remember enjoying the final scene and finding something kind of ironic about it.

On 2/4/2018 at 8:57 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

I saw this at VIFF a few months ago -- one of the very, very few films I managed to see at VIFF this year -- and I remember liking it, but I neglected to write down the reasons why. And reading your Letterboxd review, I still can't remember why, because there aren't really any specifics there. I vaguely recall noting the recurring presence of windows and animals or something like that, though, and I remember enjoying the final scene and finding something kind of ironic about it.

That really speaks to the kind of film it is, doesn't it? It's more of a concept than a film in the traditional sense. I'm still thinking about whether I want to try to write up something more substantial about it. I don't know that I have the right tools at my disposal, but I think I'll try. There are already some interesting things written about it, some of which I have tweeted out links to, and including our own Melissa Tamminga's review.

I finally put together what I hope are some more coherent thoughts on this film. I really look forward to seeing it again. Even if you don't read my post, I urge any Kiarostami fans to watch the video that I embedded. It's a Q&A between Ahmad Kiarostami (Abbas's son, who completed 24 FRAMES) and Godfrey Cheshire. It's Kiarostami gold, I assure you.
Anyways, here's the link to my essay: https://fforfilms.net/2018/02/16/24-frames/