Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

My Brother's Wedding (1983) - dir. Charles Burnett

I was startled tonight to discover that My Brother's Wedding, a film by Charles Burnett (Killer of Sheep), has just been added to Filmstruck's streaming service. Reading about it, I find that it's a hard title to track down. 

Has anyone here seen it? It sounds like it's worth a look:

The film received mostly generated positive reviews from the public. Slant Magazine called this film timeless and necessary even though it did not hold up well as a film.[8]The Village Voice stated it was "A treasure that demands to be unearthed in all its funny-sad tenderness."[6] Jonathan Rosenbaum of the Chicago Reader said "If a better film has been made about black ghetto life, I haven't seen it."[6] The films did fairly well considering the fact that it was an independent film shown in only one theater across the nation.

It's from more than a decade ago, but we do have a thread on the film. I'd love to hear Jeffrey's and others' thoughts on My Brother's Wedding

Edited by Christian

Whoa, I didn't even think to check. If I saw that thread back in 2007, I sure don't remember it. Thanks!

I hope I get a chance to see it, but this week is slammed, and I have some promising screener links to upcoming things I want to check out too. Argh.