Sign in to follow this  
Spoon

I cried most during....

I find myself on the edge of tears almost all the way through Moulin Rouge. I just find it an incredibly emotionally exhilarating film.

The Royal Tenenbaums always has me in tears. I start cracking up just after Eli and Chas's chase scene, and get gradually tearier as that lengthy street scene goes on, with Mark Mothersbaugh's beautiful scoring in the background. I lose it completely when Chas is stroking the dog and admits to Royal, "It's been a tough year, Dad," to which Royal replies, with a reassuring hand on Chas's shoulder, "I know, son." I'd be interested to hear whether other people find Tenenbaums an emotional film. So many folk seem not to find it involving at all.

The film I remember crying at most, although it rarely affects me in the same way nowadays, was The Elephant Man. I was perhaps thirteen years old when I first saw it, and I had never heard Samuel Barber's ethereal and moving Adagio for Strings before. By coincidence, the day after I first saw it, my Headmaster got out this big old record-player and put on the Adagio for our class to hear. I couldn't hold back the tears. The rest of my class, evidently not as moved as I was, were quite concerned about me!

Cinema Paradiso is another one that gets me. I encountered this film when I was for the first time mourning the passing of my Grandpa about ten years earlier. I was a teenager, and it was beginning to hurt that I had missed out on having him around for most of my life, since he died when I was five, shortly after we had left Canada. The picture of Alfredo in the montage of Toto's photos at the end reminded me of him.

Edited by Alvy

Drop by The Grace Pages, a rest-stop for fellow pilgrims.

-- Dave aka Alvy

I'm a wus. I cry during most movies.

Thank the Lord I'm not the only one! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

In America was the most recent one for me. When the lights came up I had to do the quick "yawn-and-stretch-and-nonchalantly-wipe-your-face-of-any-traces-of-tears" move that guys do ....

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

Fiddler on the Roof, by far.

I think I've also cried during Moulin Rouge.

I've "gotten teary" in several films, such that I don't really remember which ones, and such that it's not really worth keeping a list even if I tried. Most recently, there were a couple moments in The Terminal during which I was deeply affected emotionally.

Books? Les Mis

I know there are others, but the one that comes to mind is The Jazz Singer (the version with Neil Diamond) - the scene where his father finally looks at picture of his grandson and says, "He has your mother's eyes."

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

there's not much that makes me out-and-out cry, but i well up at the drop of a hat. i'm one of THOSE--i get teary-eyed during most COMMERCIALS. not to mention film trailers--i recently had tears running down my face for the duration of the previews gamut ("the company," "lost boys of sudan," one other i can't remember) before "goodbye lenin" at the local art house theater.

therefore, i have trouble narrowing it down. "in america" definitely did it for me. but the one that immediately jumped into my mind was the end of "pieces of april," where i literally burst into sobs when april opened the door to her family, much to my surprise.

i have also been known to cry AFTER films--i spent most of the day in bed after i saw "the godfather," and wept marathons after "the mission" and "the magdalene sisters."

i find myself equally choked up by displays of compassion or grace and instances that show the extreme brokenness in the world. i'm an equal opportunity weeper.

Wussie anonymous meeting now in session:

My name is coltrane and I,

--cry all the way through E.T. --- nearly every, freakin' time! One of my all time favorites

-- bawl at several places in The Color Purple... the wracking-sobs variety too!

--Watched Rushmore again this week, for the umpteenth time, and found myself crying during Murray's performance at the end in Mr. Fischer's barber chair.

--have also wept violently during Iron Giant, Dumbo, Sling Blade, The Elephant Man and the finale of Breaking Away

Thank you.

"The things we enjoy are channels through which the divine glory strikes us, and those who love and delight in any good thing may yet learn to love God." --Gilbert Meilaender

Iron Giant

yes! one of my all-time top-five cry-a-thons. when those pieces of robot start rolling back towards one another... well, gee, i get misty just thinking about it.

I can't hold the tears back when the credits roll on Schindler's List. I hold myself together pretty well during the film itself, despite some emotionally demanding scenes, but when the real-life Schindler Jews appear over the crest of the hill and start laying down rocks on Schindler's grave, I totally go to pieces.

-- Dave aka Alvy

House of Sand and Fog

Magnolia

Shadowlands (the TV version w/ Joss Ackland & Claire Bloom)

To Kill a Mockingbird

Places in the Heart

Special sentimentality category--plucky animals in peril:

My Dog Skip (and I really resented it, too)

The Incredible Journey (original version)

Greyfriars Bobby

Don't know why these are all movies about dogs, when I don't even own a dog in real life.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

Dumbo

How could I forget Dumbo? My pathetic reaction to "Baby Mine" tells you everything you never needed to know about my childhood trauma! rolleyes.gif

Edited by BethR

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

Wussie anonymous meeting now in session:

I too am glad to find I am not the only one.

I actually got teary-eyed several times during 50 First Dates.

The Passion of the Christ

The list could too long and embarrassing wink.gif

I wish I could say Sunrise but it was just too beautiful.

Edited by asher

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

The Royal Tenenbaums always has me in tears. I start cracking up just after Eli and Chas's chase scene, and get gradually tearier as that lengthy street scene goes on, with Mark Mothersbaugh's beautiful scoring in the background. I lose it completely when Chas is stroking the dog and admits to Royal, "It's been a tough year, Dad," to which Royal replies, with a reassuring hand on Chas's shoulder, "I know, son." I'd be interested to hear whether other people find Tenenbaums an emotional film. So many folk seem not to find it involving at all.

Add me to that list. The scene you just described always gets to me in some way.

Others...

Princess Mononoke

The Iron Giant ("Superman!")

Life Is Beautiful

Cinema Paradiso

Grave Of The Fireflies

And there are numerous times throughout the LOTR movies that I get choked up, like when Gandalf and the Rohirrim come sweeping down to Helm's Deep, or when the Rohirrim make their charge across Pelennor Fields. I guess I must have a thing for horses...

Edited by opus

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

I can't hold the tears back when the credits roll on Schindler's List. I hold myself together pretty well during the film itself, despite some emotionally demanding scenes, but when the real-life Schindler Jews appear over the crest of the hill and start laying down rocks on Schindler's grave, I totally go to pieces.

Interesting you mention this. About a month ago I was explaining the movie to someone who has never seen it (can you believe?) and when i got to the end, where I described the real Schindlers jews paying their respects, i had one of those classic "Hmmph..I'm sorry, excuse me just a minute" moments, with my hand against my mouth.

"The things we enjoy are channels through which the divine glory strikes us, and those who love and delight in any good thing may yet learn to love God." --Gilbert Meilaender

Too many films to list, but recently, Gosford Park broke my heart... again. I'd second The Royal Tenenbaums, which has such a powerfully moving ending. Moulin Rouge gets to me as well. Three Colors: Blue, definitely, and Red as well. There are a couple of moments in Punch-drunk Love and in Magnolia that really activate the tear ducts.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Because I can relate to being a child of divorce I just bawled when the little girl ran after her deadbeat dad in Hope Floats.

The breakthrough scene in Good Will Hunting got me as well:

"Hey Will, I don

Edited by SZPT

The scene in Ikiru (my favourite film) where the old man sings an old song and remembers his wife, also when he sings the song and sits on a playground swing near the end. And when George Bailey arrives home in Its A Wonderful Life. In America did for me too. Also the scene in I Vitelloni where the protagonist gets on the train at the end and leaves his friends and his old life behind.

Also tears of boredom and rage during Road To Perdition.

The first movie I ever cried at, when I was 6, was A Star is Born (1976). I asked daddy why I was crying because I wasn't hurt.

Most recent: The Notebook.

1. Moulin Rouge. From "Come back to me...and forgiiiiiiiiiiiive everythiiiiiiiiiing" onward I'm an utter mess.

2. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. "I can carry you." It was the message manifest in that moment which brought the tears.

3. Fearless. Violent weeping from the moment he reaches for the strawberry at the end all the way through the credits and lights up.

4. Iron Giant. Yes, Suuuuuuperrrrrrrmaaaaaaaan.

5. The Passion of the Christ. The vision of the little boy falling down. The look on Simon of Cyrene's face when he realizes he's finished carrying the cross.

6. The Truman Show. The boat runs into the horizon.

7. Shadowlands (1993). Lewis is told he's a liar by his stepson while sitting in front of an empty wardrobe.

8. Big Fish. The ending was deeply personal. Mock away, O callus haters!

9. Glory. The assembly of men marching to death together.

10. The English Patient. From 'How long is a day in the dark' through Scott-Thomas' removal from the Cave of Winds. I'm the only man in the world who liked that movie.

11. Where the Red Fern Grows (1974). The ending. Oh man.

12. Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo. The whole thing. The whole blessed thing. Someone hold me.

------------

Edited by Jason Bortz

[iNSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

The breakthrough scene in Good Will Hunting got me as well:

"Hey Will, I don

-- Dave aka Alvy

3. Fearless. Violent weeping from the moment he reaches for the strawberry at the end all the way through the credits and lights up.

4. Iron Giant. Yes, Suuuuuuperrrrrrrmaaaaaaaan.

12. Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo. The whole thing. The whole blessed thing. Someone hold me.

Yes! I meant to put Fearless in my original post but forget after the GWH bit.

Yes! I've watched Iron Giant countless times because of my son and I mist up every time.

And Dear-God-in-Heaven YES! I'm holding you brother! When Ozone and Turbo [sniff] try to convince Kelly to help them [sniff] save the rec center [choke]... oh, I can't go on.

11. Where the Red Fern Grows (1974). The ending. Oh man.

I forgot about that one... we watched that in grade school and I think most of the kids in the room were teary-eyed by the end of the film. Oh, and also Old Yeller (God bless my grandparents for having the Disney Channel when I was a kid.

I get a little overwhelmed everytime Ice-T makes an appearance...

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook