Hailee Steinfeld to Play Emily Dickinson for New Apple Series

Steinfeld has been cast as Emily Dickinson in the newly ordered Apple series Dickinson, about the American author’s coming-of-age years. It’s being billed as a comedy that “explores the constraints of society, gender and family from the perspective of a budding writer who doesn’t fit in to her own time through her imaginative point of view,” and will be set in the 1800s with a “modern sensibility and tone.”

Link to our thread on A Quiet Passion, the Cynthia Nixon-starring Dickinson biopic.

While I don't idolize Emily Dickinson, I don't have a good feeling about this. Why can't she just be an oddball 19th century girl named Emily Jones?

8 hours ago, BethR said:

While I don't idolize Emily Dickinson, I don't have a good feeling about this. Why can't she just be an oddball 19th century girl named Emily Jones?

I'm feeling similarly. Of course, after the drearily pious A Quiet Passion, this might be a more interesting take.

My own conviction is that they should just not make movies or TV shows about poets. No one ever gets it right.

Edited by NBooth

15 hours ago, NBooth said:

I'm feeling similarly. Of course, after the drearily pious A Quiet Passion, this might be a more interesting take.

My own conviction is that they should just not make movies or TV shows about poets. No one ever gets it right.

I do like Hailee Steinfeld. As for movies (at least) about poets, I'd make an exception for Bright Star, which was quite good with Keats. But that's the only success I can think of.

I need to rewatch Bright Star. You're the third or fourth person in as many months that I've seen praise it.

Edited by NBooth