Brian D

Top 25 or 100 for 2018-19

I would love to participate. I have not really been part of any cinema conversation for a while, but have kept current and am gearing back up for some writing this coming year. There were some really spectacular films from the last few years which went under the radar but would look great on this list. Looking forward to feeling the old flicker of life at A&F.

I second or fourth the notion about communicating with Image to defining our relationship at the moment.

I have exchanged e-mails with staff at Image about this website. Not surprisingly, they are quite busy with the Glen Workshop, but I was told they would get back in touch with me after that was done. 

9 hours ago, Andrew said:

I think this may be the Top 100/25 discussion you were asking about, Joel:  

Yes! Thanks for this. Reading the whole thread, it seems I even contributed to the discussion!

On 7/19/2018 at 1:29 AM, Rob Z said:

I really enjoyed participating in the Top 25 list last year, and I'd be eager to participate in whatever form this takes. I agree with Brian and others that discussions around lists seem productive for this forum, and those would be discussions I'd want to participate in.

Same goes for me. Last year was my first time participating, and I'd love to be part of another one. I also second everything Rob said in a later comment about being excited to just be included whether you decide to weigh votes or not.

On 7/19/2018 at 11:55 PM, Brian D said:

I also strongly recommend we find a way to include dynamic female film voices like Melissa Tamminga and Alissa Wilkinson.  Whether for blurbs or just voting, their contribution would be incredible.  Also, BethR and other women who've played a key role in Arts and Faith.

Thanks. I agree :)

Joel and I have had some talks, and there seems to be a small but clear consensus that site members would like another iteration of the Top 100. I think it is probably too late in the year to try to do it for 2018, but I think if there is consensus, we could go ahead and set target dates (appointing a spearhead person, opening for nominations, setting out how voting would be done, etc.) 

I have also floated in the past the idea of doing a companion book that might give the list some publicity and writers here some broader exposure. I wasn't necessarily thinking an essay for every movie, but perhaps blurbs on site for every movie and 15-20 essays or longer appreciation pieces from community members who have a special attachment to a film on the list (wherever on the list it appears). But I'm just brainstorming at this point. 

What I would suggest here--and I apologize if this is a repeat--but if anyone wants to volunteer to be pointperson for a Top 100 project, please volunteer here, in this thread. My own sense is that there are a number of people interested in participating but most have been understandably hanging back to see whether the project would move forward. So let's see if we can get the ball rolling, or, alternately, if it is too soon to jump into a big board project, whether we want to defer starting a new Top 100 for the time being.

I would love to see this move forward, and I think a companion book is a great idea - with my current writing commitment, I couldn't be pointperson, but I'd love to contribute a longer essay if the book gets off the ground.