Sign in to follow this  
BethR

God Friended Me

Coming this fall to CBS. (trailers & featurettes at the link)

I reserve judgment.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

Originally, I thought this would be a 30-minute sitcom format, but it is an hour-long light drama. After five episodes, the clearest TV ancestors are Touched by an Angel--but the "angels" are ordinary humans, at least one of whom claims to be an atheist, and "God" is a mysterious Facebook friend who suggests other "friends" who need help--or Joan of Arcadia, with its skeptical but good-hearted protagonist directed by an enigmatic, multi-faced divinity--if Joan had had a team of friends/colleagues. The show, so far, avoids the sentimentality of Touched, but doesn't have the depth of Joan.

So far, the greatest strength of God Friended Me is the cast, especially Brandon Micheal Hall as the main character Miles and Joe Morton as Miles's father Pastor Finer. The two main female characters, Cara and Jaya, look too much alike.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

This show was cancelled and wrapped up neatly, but with just enough of an open ending that it could possibly be renewed...and it was, because it was apparently quite successful. Whatever.

I didn't watch the final season, because watching characters running about hither and yon at the behest of a "God Account" was getting weird. Half the time they were determined to find out "who was behind it," certain that some human or human-engineered AI agent must be orchestrating everything (a bit like "The Machine" in Person of Interest, but nice?). The mystery is never fully explained, even though a computer virus nearly destroys the "God Account" and clever programmers "save" it, implying it's artificial. The other half, they were hinting that there might be some supernatural power at work, trying to convince our protagonist Miles to return to faith.

In the two-part finale, after meditating (not exactly praying) in a church about the outcome of his sister's life-or-death surgery, Miles more or less does just that. The series wraps up with  one of the ever-popular "It doesn't matter what you believe, as long as you believe in something, especially in yourself and the goodness of other people" voiceovers, and they all live happily ever after.

I almost wished for re-runs of Touched by an Angel.