Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Narnia: the Netflix series

Links to our threads on the pre-release buzz (2003-2005), The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (2005), Prince Caspian (2008), The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (2010) and The Silver Chair (in development), as well as the Narnia books.

Link to our thread on Amazon Prime's Lord of the Rings series.

- - -

Netflix To Develop ‘The Chronicles of Narnia’ TV Series & Films
Netflix has closed a multi-year deal with The C.S. Lewis Company to develop new series and film projects based on Lewis’ popular The Chronicles of Narnia books.
Under the pact, Netflix, working with Entertainment One, will develop stories from across the Narnia universe into series and films with eOne’s Mark Gordon as well as Douglas Gresham and Vincent Sieber serving as executive producers for series and as producers for features. Netflix is the studio.
The deal marks the first time that rights to the entire seven books of the Narnia universe have been held by the same company. . . .
With the deal, Netflix is looking to build a Narnia cinematic universe that encompasses film and TV in the vein of Star Trek and Marvel, whose franchises cross over between mediums. The idea originated with eOne and its president and chief content officer for film and TV, Gordon. Via his Mark Gordon Co, he had made a deal with the C. S. Lewis Company in 2013 for a fourth Narnia feature. Following the MGC’s acquisition by eOne, it was announced in 2016 that Sony and eOne would finance and distribute the feature. Instead, Gordon and chief eOne strategy officer Peter Micelli felt there was a bigger opportunity in building a film-TV Narnia universe. They got The C.S. Lewis Company on board and took the package, accompanied by an elaborate vision presentation, to the marketplace, eventually landing at Netflix. (Sony is not involved in the project.) . . .
Deadline.com, October 3

With the deal, Netflix is looking to build a Narnia cinematic universe that encompasses film and TV in the vein of Star Trek and Marvel, whose franchises cross over between mediums.

I'll say here what I posted on Fb in response to this news: This could be good, or it could go so wrong in so many ways that my main feeling is trepidation. Some officious do-gooder will doubtless attempt to rehabilitate Susan, too. (I'm not against her rehabilitation, I hasten to say. I just think some things can be left to the imagination.)