kenmorefield

2018 Arts & Faith Ecumenical Jury

This thread is a little later in starting than in year's past because of some of the uncertainties about the board itself being in transition. I've spoken to Joel, and he has indicated a willingness to serve as a jury foreperson for the Ecumenical Jury if we want to do it this year. (I do.) I think during a time of transition it is especially important to try to keep alive the one or two central projects (EJ and Top 100/Top 25 lists) that are this board's central contributions. I hope we can add some new jury members this year (working on that), but I don't want to exclude anyone who has historically participated and may be up for another ride. Feel free to express that willingness in this thread or to reach out to Joel via PM. 

Looking forward to our conversations and nominations again! I believe the EJ lists are some of the most unique and interesting year-end lists I've seen in the past few years, and I'm always exposed to great new films I might have otherwise missed. I'm happy to serve as the foreperson this year, if no one objects. Here are the folks who served on the jury last year (listed alphabetically by last name):

Anders Bergstrom (3 Brothers Film)

Josh Cabrita (MUBI Notebook / Cinema Scope)

Peter Chattaway (FilmChat)

Evan Cogswell (Catholic Cinephile)

Steven D. Greydanus (National Catholic Register)

Christian Hamaker (Crosswalk)

Josh Hamm (Cut Print Film)

Gareth Higgins (The Porch / Movies & Meaning)

M. Leary (Filmwell)

Noel T. Manning (Cinemascene)

Joel Mayward (Cinemayward.com)

Kenneth R. Morefield (1More Film Blog)

Jeffrey Overstreet (Looking Closer)

Kevin Sampson (Picture Lock)

Melissa Tamminga (Seattle Screen Scene)

If you'd like to be a part of the EJ this year, please post your willingness in this thread or DM/email me directly (jmayward@gmail). I'll reach out to those who aren't regulars on the A&F forum to ask about their participation this year. And like Ken said, we're hoping to expand the jury, while also not wanting to leave anyone out who has participated previously and wants to do so again. As I receive confirmation of jury members, I'll create a thread for nominations and discussion, probably in the next few weeks.

Our timeline last year seemed to work well, but I'll post it here as a reminder in case we want to revisit it: Nominations opened on Nov 1. Nominations closed on Dec 30. I sent the ballots to jury members on Dec 31, and voting closed Jan 6. The two-part lists were published on Feb 5 and 6. If that seems reasonable and worked for everyone, we will stick with it for this year.

Thanks for being jury foreman again, Joel. I'm happy to participate for a fifth year.

Thanks, Joel. I'm happy to participate, but my affiliation should be Patheos/Schaeffer's Ghost; Crosswalk cut loose all its freelance reviewers in January. The Washington Area Film Critics Association kept me on its books despite my dropoff in published reviews - at least for this year - so for now I have continued access to screeners, which have started to arrive. 

I am happy to participate. Willing to step to the side if field gets too crowded, but early returns don't appear to make it look like that's the case. 

Edited by kenmorefield

I'm happy to join in again.

A brief update--our 2018 film jury presently includes the following 18 people, listed in alphabetical order by first name, followed by their outlets:

Anders Bergstrom (3 Brothers Film)

Christian Hamaker (Patheos / Schaeffer's Ghost)

Evan Cogswell (Catholic Cinephile)

Gareth Higgins (The Porch)

Jeffrey Overstreet (Looking Closer)

Joel Mayward (Cinemayward / Think Christian)

Josh Cabrita (Mubi Notebook / Cinema Scope)

Josh Hamm (Cut Print Film)

Josh Larsen (Filmspotting / Think Christian)

Ken Morefield (1MoreFilmBlog)

Kevin Sampson (Picture Lock)

Melissa Tamminga (Seattle Screen Scene)

Michael Leary (Independent)

Noel T. Manning (Cinemascene)

Peter Chattaway (FilmChat)

Philip Martin (Blood, Dirt & Angels)

Sarah Welch-Larson (Think Christian / BW/DR / Freelance)

Steven D. Greydanus (Decent Films / National Catholic Register)

This is a fantastic group of film critics, and I'm really glad to have a few new names--a warm welcome to Sarah, Philip, and Josh L. (We now have three Joshes!).

With the change of ownership at Arts & Faith, and with changes at IMAGE Journal, I offered to host the publication of this year's jury list at Transpositions, the online journal of ITIA, where I'm a PhD student and associate editor. Our editor-in-chief was excited about what we're doing, and Transpositions may offer us some new flexibility in publication formats, specifically regarding word counts for descriptions/blurbs. And if you're interested in writing on the intersection of theology and the arts, please do send me your essay ideas via DM or email.

Next week, I will be sending out an email to jury members, and posting a new thread in the forum to begin the nomination process. Looking forward to this conversation with you all!