Sign in to follow this  
kenmorefield

The Nutcracker and The Four Realms (2018)

This is getting some push for faith media outlets. The first of these clips focuses on Misty Copeland:

The other is on holiday traditions:

For some reason the whole art design here reminded me most of Wrinkle in Time, which wasn't a pleasant association. But I have no previous affinity for The Nutcracker, and I like Keira Knightley, so who knows...seeing the film on Tuesday. 

I enjoyed this a heck of a lot more than I thought I would. There are some nits to pick...the world-building is not enough to sustain multiple viewings (which is what I think they want), and the actual ballet dancing is blink-and-you-missed it, but...

Keira Knightley is fearless, ferocious, and fun. If she is not my favorite actress working today, I don't know who is. It's a fearless performance in the sense that bombing in a role like this could make one look ridiculous, but she commits fully to it.

The family dynamics are nice. Clara's sister is not a brat and her father not a doofus. Clara is herself interested in mechanics and able to be a hero without being a tomboy. The art design is rich and visually sumptuous.

I was entertained.

Fantastic to hear that, Ken. I'm a Knightley fan, but rarely go see films because of who's starring in them. I wasn't very interested in this Nutcracker. You may have changed that.

As for go-for-broke Knightley performances, I've gone back-and-forth about her role in A Dangerous Method. Publicly I've lauded the performance and have tussled with critics less friendly toward it. But I've seen the film three times (I think), and I'd be lying if I didn't admit to moments where I thought, "Maybe this is a bit much."

Oh... wait... that's *Knightley*!? (I read your post yesterday, Ken, and suddenly found myself thinking about it when I saw an ad for the film this morning. I never recognized her during my previous viewings of the trailer. Assuming I have now identified her correctly.)