Sign in to follow this  
kenmorefield

Suggest a Film to be Featured

I was going to start posting a monthly thread here for a featured discussion and see what happens. Doesn't need to be a formal agreement for everyone to watch but could be a way to facilitate a little more discussion...or not. 

If you have a film title you would like to see featured for a month, post suggestions here. Some current titles I am thinking about in no particular order:

• Die Hard
  • Ransom
  • Get Shorty
  • Othello 
  • Midaq Alley
  • Taxi Driver
  • Persepolis
  • Isle of Dogs

I like this idea very much.  FYI, if you want to post a thread for a film for which there is already a thread, I believe there is a way of moving it to the "Featured Film Discussions" section of the board.  Email me if you can use any help figuring that out.

Perhaps we could discuss a film or two for Advent: something like Whistle Down the Wind, Gosford Park, or The Night of the Hunter.

FWIW, in the past the 'Featured Film Discussion' threads, which last for only a month or so, have been separate from the regular threads, which can sometimes span several years.

1 hour ago, J.A.A. Purves said:

I like this idea very much.  FYI, if you want to post a thread for a film for which there is already a thread, I believe there is a way of moving it to the "Featured Film Discussions" section of the board.  Email me if you can use any help figuring that out.

Perhaps we could discuss a film or two for Advent: something like Whistle Down the Wind, Gosford Park, or The Night of the Hunter.

There is...I've figured that out from moving a couple threads out of Short Term Parking. 

FWIW, in the past the 'Featured Film Discussion' threads, which last for only a month or so, have been separate from the regular threads, which can sometimes span several years.

Yep, still pondering that. In fact, I was thinking about this Forum in general and whether it should have new threads or, once the discussions are done, to move them to/integrate them with the threads in main forum. I like the idea of having a separate thread while we are discussing it but I'm not sure that two years after the fact we need parallel threads for the same movie. My gut tells me to leave them separate, but my gut isn't always right...

I wouldn't mind re-watching Night of the Hunter....

The Ninth Configuration.  (aka, the greatest example of a Christian movie ever made, that most people here have not seen).

I'm very in favor of this idea. And I like the idea of an Advent discussion. I've not seen The Ninth Configuration, but I'm open to it, and I'm all for a discussion on The Night of the Hunter.

Other possible films: Secrets & Lies, Blue Collar, Woman in the Dunes, Sita Sings the Blues, The Other Side of Hope, A Brighter Summer Day.

I went with Night of the Hunter for November, just because I figured it made sense to do something off the Top 100 list, though I am not opposed to talking about The Ninth Configuration here in a subsequent month. 

I would love to be part of a discussion of the Apu Trilogy, in part because it would prompt me to watch classic films that have been sitting on my DVD shelf unwatched for too long.  (Though not until January, preferably, since my movie viewing for the next several weeks will mainly revolve around 'for your consideration' films that I've missed till now.)

Edited by Andrew

6 hours ago, Andrew said:

I would love to be part of a discussion of the Apu Trilogy, in part because it would prompt me to watch classic films that have been sitting on my DVD shelf unwatched for too long.  (Though not until January, preferably, since my movie viewing for the next several weeks will mainly revolve around 'for your consideration' films that I've missed till now.)

Oh, I second all of this--Apu Trilogy in January. I've only watched Pather Panchali while the other two sat on my shelf for the past year, so some community accountability would prompt me to get around to them.