Sign in to follow this  
kenmorefield

Film Club December 2018: The Ninth Configuration

Link to our Forum thread on The Ninth Configuration

Not much movement yet on resurrecting Film Club, but I went ahead and watched The Ninth Configuration, so I figured I'd go ahead and make a thread for it in case anyone else wanted to chime in. I see from the forum thread and recommendations that Nick is a fan, and Anders appears to be endeared to the film.

My own response was somewhat more muted. It seems like even it's fans admit this is an acquired taste, with an emphasis on theme Blatty is cited at Wikipedia saying that he considered the novel on which the film is based "comic," and I was reminded in the first half of Catch-22. 

It's very 70s in its music, hair, and acting. One key scene reminded me of the end of Psycho. The tendency to explain what one has seen is usually annoying, though in this case, it is probably necessary. I suppose I see parallels to The Exorcist in that there is a frame narrative that basically allows for abstract discussions of theology and psychology. 

I'll let this sit for a while and see if anyone else has comments.

Thanks for picking this film; I was away a few days and this is the first I heard of your opening the discussion.

I admire this film a lot for what it truly attempts to do, that is to demonstrate Christian apologetics in the context of an-otherwise secular narrative.  The dialogue in such scenes are actually quite quotable and funny, but the film knows enough to have surrealist comedy and action interludes before such dialogue gets too burdensome.   

I will want to see this again to have a fresher output... only, I would do so after the holidays, as I am inundated with my mandatory annual holiday movie watching, considering there's too many great films I only watch this time of year.  

I'll share my review here as well for anyone who's interested. It's a film I only saw for the first time this year, and it's stuck with me since Easter.

https://3brothersfilm.com/blog/2018/3/30/review-the-ninth-configuration-1980

2 hours ago, Anders said:

I'll share my review here as well for anyone who's interested. It's a film I only saw for the first time this year, and it's stuck with me since Easter.

https://3brothersfilm.com/blog/2018/3/30/review-the-ninth-configuration-1980

From your review:

But, explains Reno, Hamlet recognizes madness as the appropriate response, and so conforms his behaviour to its expression. He is not mad, but since madness is the only proper response, he pretends to be.

I so expected the last line to be, "...but since madness is the only proper response, he must be." 
I like this line of thought, and it helps me appreciate the film more than I did. 

I'm not sure if it's streaming anywhere else in the US, but I found The Ninth Configuration on Kanopy, and will plan to watch it when I have 2 hours I want to devote to insanity.