Sign in to follow this  
kenmorefield

Beautiful Boy (2018)

I wanted to start a thread for this film for no other reason than to say, just once, I wish I could see a film where a modern teen says to a parent of my generation, "But you experimented with drugs when you were my age, right?" and have the parent reply, "Ummm, no."

I don't know if that's a lazy cliche or just a reflection of the community writing. Really, I've been conscious since, oh, Family Ties in the 1980s of the media fascination with the theme of parents having to say, "Don't do as I did." But I find this trope rarely actually leads to examining why the choices were wrong or even acknowledging them as such. 

I sorta enjoyed Steve Carrell's character's impatience with the language of addiction treatment, but here again, I kept waiting for that to develop into a genuine conflict over the procedure with the wife or helpers...one that actually interrogated the ideas behind their assumptions. But it seemed mostly just to use the situation for pathos, which is fine, I guess, but fairly narrow in scope. 

Though at least in this film's case, this aspect of the story (David Sheff's openness with his son about his drug use) was true to the source material.  But otherwise, your point is well-taken.