Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about web hosting issues? I'm curious if changing web hosts will seriously disrupt the forum, create problems with links, or is even possible. If you have tech knoweldge in this area and are willing to chat, please PM me. 

Thanks for confirming that. I renewed with current webhost for another year, but it's good to know we can migrate if we need to.

One of my goals for the summer is to get a handle on the web organization of Arts & Faith so that I can make informed decisions going forward. Unfortunately, my knowledge of Internet issues is fairly limited to end-user stuff. 

Here's what I know:

1) Artsandfaith.com is a registered domain main that I have through GoDaddy. That domain is directed to the web-hosting service of my choice.

2) The board has a software license with Invision that allows us to you the forum software. That software has an administrative control panel that allows me to log into the parts of the forum that are Invision (forum) and make changes there. This is similar to Wordpress in my experience where the control panel for the sofware is different form the control panel for the whole site. 

3) The board is currently hosted by a company called OVH that is in Canada/Montreal.

This is where things get a litlte murky. Here are things I don't understand or don't know:

1) How, if at all to log into OVH to make changes to files or upload files directly using FTP or some other means. (Some of the Top 100 and Top 25 pages are clearly housed in the same domain Web Hosting, but I don't know where.) 

2) I have log in account for something called cPanel. It appears to be a personal account for a former administrator or assistant. It is unclear to me whether cPanel actually houses anything or is simply a tool used work on sites/files hosted elsewhere. I presume it is not good security to leave the same account name and passwords to cPanel that Image was using , but I also don't know if it is possible to sever connections between Arts & Faith and that cPanel account or whether that will crash the site. 

3) OVH has something called VPS (virtual private server) and something called Cloud hosting. I don't know the difference or which I/we have. 

4) As a result of these issues, any time the board software (Invision) has to be updated, the board crashes because some adjustments have to be made manually (I presume) in the web hosted location. 

None of these are preventing the site from working right now, but running machinery that you don't understand makes it seem inevitable that you will eventually push the wrong button or alter the wrong file and end up messing things up. 

Here's what I'd like to see happen:

1) Eventually I'd like the hosting to be someplace that I'm more familiar with, like GoDaddy or BluHost. That would be more $$, probably, but experience tells me with GoDaddy, there is at least a 24-hour tech support that speaks English (most of OVH control panel is in French or translated though inelegant web translator), similarly when I called them, language barriers make it hard for us to understand one another. 

2) I'd like to have the Arts & Faith stuff separated from the previous admin assistant's cPanel account, if possible. (Don't know if that mean I need to make a cPanel account or if there is some other way of making site updates.)

Can anyone help me with any of this? (By help I mean talking me through it, explain to me what I need to do. I don't mean pay for it...because right now I'm still within budget. But it's harder to budget when you don't really understand what it is you are buying/paying for.)

Just to help and answer a few of your questions.

This is where things get a litlte murky. Here are things I don't understand or don't know:

1) How, if at all to log into OVH to make changes to files or upload files directly using FTP or some other means. (Some of the Top 100 and Top 25 pages are clearly housed in the same domain Web Hosting, but I don't know where.) 

- /tylermccabe is the forum directory and is where the update files should be updated.

3) OVH has something called VPS (virtual private server) and something called Cloud hosting. I don't know the difference or which I/we have. 
- This website was hosted I think at godaddy before and had all kind of issues & this is why Tyler hired me to setup a vps and add good security.

4) As a result of these issues, any time the board software (Invision) has to be updated, the board crashes because some adjustments have to be made manually (I presume) in the web hosted location. 

- I think this is when there is a update and you click on the ACP for auto upgrade but not sure.

None of these are preventing the site from working right now, but running machinery that you don't understand makes it seem inevitable that you will eventually push the wrong button or alter the wrong file and end up messing things up. 

Here's what I'd like to see happen:

1) Eventually I'd like the hosting to be someplace that I'm more familiar with, like GoDaddy or BluHost. That would be more $$, probably, but experience tells me with GoDaddy, there is at least a 24-hour tech support that speaks English (most of OVH control panel is in French or translated though inelegant web translator), similarly when I called them, language barriers make it hard for us to understand one another. 

- These are terrible hosting companies if you ever decide to move host and opt for a shared hosting choose Site Ground, just keep in mind you will be on a shared server with thousands of other sites.

16 hours ago, RAW said:

- /tylermccabe is the forum directory and is where the update files should be updated.

- These are terrible hosting companies if you ever decide to move host and opt for a shared hosting choose Site Ground, just keep in mind you will be on a shared server with thousands of other sites.

Thank you for these responses. If I can ask a couple of follow ups:

1) I can't find the -/tylermmcable directory or any other directory. Do you access this via cPanel or by some interface through the webhost (OVH)? When I go to OVH all I see is the account history (when I paid for what orders) not the files themselves.

2) Do you have a recommendation for some other hosting company besides the two I mentioned? I'm not sure if you picked OVH or Tyler/Image did. Honestly, I'm quite happy with the work you have done but I am also concerned that were anything to happen to you there would be nobody who knew how to address technical issues or answer basic questions like how to upload a page similar to: https://artsandfaith.com/t100/2011/t100/

Also, I don't really know how many people from Image had (access to) the administrative password/log-in information and whether its still floating around. I was able to change that for the Invision (software) control panel, but I honestly don't know who else, if anyone, has access to the forum files via OVH or cPanel.

2 hours ago, kenmorefield said:

Thank you for these responses. If I can ask a couple of follow ups:

1) I can't find the -/tylermmcable directory or any other directory. Do you access this via cPanel or by some interface through the webhost (OVH)? When I go to OVH all I see is the account history (when I paid for what orders) not the files themselves.

2) Do you have a recommendation for some other hosting company besides the two I mentioned? I'm not sure if you picked OVH or Tyler/Image did. Honestly, I'm quite happy with the work you have done but I am also concerned that were anything to happen to you there would be nobody who knew how to address technical issues or answer basic questions like how to upload a page similar to: https://artsandfaith.com/t100/2011/t100/

Also, I don't really know how many people from Image had (access to) the administrative password/log-in information and whether its still floating around. I was able to change that for the Invision (software) control panel, but I honestly don't know who else, if anyone, has access to the forum files via OVH or cPanel.

1) You can access via cPanel or FTP

2) https://www.siteground.com

I recommended OVH to Tyler they have cheap price for VPS and also Ddos protection.

The password you can change from the cPanel or WHM.