Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Oscars 2019: Best Screenplay (Adapted)

Which film WILL win the Oscar?  

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Writers Guild nominees in this category:

• Blackkklansman, Written by Charlie Wachtel & David Rabinowitz and Kevin Willmott & Spike Lee, Based on the book by Ron Stallworth; Focus Features
  • Black Panther, Written by Ryan Coogler & Joe Robert Cole, Based on the Marvel Comics by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby; Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures
  • Can You Ever Forgive Me?, Screenplay by Nicole Holofcener and Jeff Whitty, Based on the book by Lee Israel; Fox Searchlight
  • If Beale Street Could Talk, Screenplay by Barry Jenkins, Based on the novel by James Baldwin; Annapurna Pictures
  • A Star is Born, Screenplay by Eric Roth and Bradley Cooper & Will Fetters, Based on the 1954 screenplay by Moss Hart and the 1976 screenplay by John Gregory Dunne & Joan Didion and Frank Pierson, Based on a story by William Wellman and Robert Carson; Warner Bros.

Note that some potential Oscar contenders might not be eligible for the WGA award due to the guild's rules.

The winner will be announced February 17.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

The USC Scripter nominees (this award is for *adapted* screenplays specifically):

• Black Panther -- Ryan Coogler and Joe Robert Cole, based on the character created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby
  • Can You Ever Forgive Me? -- Nicole Holofcener and Jeff Whitty and author Lee Israel
  • The Death of Stalin -- Armando Iannucci, Ian Martin, and David Schneider, based on the graphic novel by Fabien Nury and Thierry Robin
  • If Beale Street Could Talk -- Barry Jenkins and author James Baldwin
  • Leave No Trace -- Debra Granik and Anne Rosellini, based on the novel “My Abandonment” by Peter Rock

Three Scripter nominees were also nominated by the WGA (said nominees being Black Panther, Can You Ever Forgive Me? and If Beale Street Could Talk). I don't know how the eligibility rules for the two awards compare to each other.

The winner will be announced February 9.

Vote!

Note: Can You Ever Forgive Me? and If Beale Street Could Talk are the only Oscar nominees that got nominated for the WGA *and* Scripter awards. The Oscars also went with the WGA's BlacKkKlansman and A Star Is Born, but substituted The Ballad of Buster Scruggs for Black Panther.

On 1/15/2019 at 2:25 PM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The USC Scripter nominees (this award is for *adapted* screenplays specifically):

• Black Panther -- Ryan Coogler and Joe Robert Cole, based on the character created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby
  • Can You Ever Forgive Me? -- Nicole Holofcener and Jeff Whitty and author Lee Israel
  • The Death of Stalin -- Armando Iannucci, Ian Martin, and David Schneider, based on the graphic novel by Fabien Nury and Thierry Robin
  • If Beale Street Could Talk -- Barry Jenkins and author James Baldwin
  • Leave No Trace -- Debra Granik and Anne Rosellini, based on the novel “My Abandonment” by Peter Rock

. . . The winner will be announced February 9.

And the winner is... Leave No Trace!

Deadline notes: "This year’s film honor . . . will break the Scripter’s eight-year winning streak of winners going on to victory at the Oscars: Leave No Trace can’t win an Academy Award because it wasn’t nominated in the category."

On 1/7/2019 at 2:08 PM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Writers Guild nominees in this category:

• Blackkklansman, Written by Charlie Wachtel & David Rabinowitz and Kevin Willmott & Spike Lee, Based on the book by Ron Stallworth; Focus Features
  • Black Panther, Written by Ryan Coogler & Joe Robert Cole, Based on the Marvel Comics by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby; Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures
  • Can You Ever Forgive Me?, Screenplay by Nicole Holofcener and Jeff Whitty, Based on the book by Lee Israel; Fox Searchlight
  • If Beale Street Could Talk, Screenplay by Barry Jenkins, Based on the novel by James Baldwin; Annapurna Pictures
  • A Star is Born, Screenplay by Eric Roth and Bradley Cooper & Will Fetters, Based on the 1954 screenplay by Moss Hart and the 1976 screenplay by John Gregory Dunne & Joan Didion and Frank Pierson, Based on a story by William Wellman and Robert Carson; Warner Bros.

Note that some potential Oscar contenders might not be eligible for the WGA award due to the guild's rules.

The winner will be announced February 17.

And the winner is... Can You Ever Forgive Me?!

Finally, a major victory for this very fine film. I've seen it twice, and it only got better on second viewing.