Sign in to follow this  
kenmorefield

A Tweak Regarding Polls

I had a request to alter the forum settings so that users could add polls to existing threads. Previously setting was that there was a 48 hour window after which a poll could not be added to an existing thread. 

I see no particular harm in making this change, but if there is something I am not seeing or if it creates problems (such as a user making frivolous polls cluttering up threads he/she didn't create, I can change it back). 

Do let me know if this creates any unanticipated problems.

Didn't we use to have that feature before one of the redesigns of the board?

Anyway, I think most of us will welcome that change. I know it will help with Peter's Oscar prediction polls which he used to add to his preexisting threads.

kenmorefield wrote:
: . . . if it creates problems (such as a user making frivolous polls cluttering up threads he/she didn't create . . .

FWIW, I don't *think* this would be possible. I believe that, to add a poll, you have to edit the first post in any given thread -- and only the person who created that post (and thus the thread) can do that. (Well, administrators can presumably edit introductory posts too.)

But it's always possible that someone who *did* create a thread would add a frivolous poll to it! I pledge here and now not to do that. :)

Edited by Peter T Chattaway