Sign in to follow this  
kenmorefield

Super Cats

Super Cats is one of those series that either needs no selling or won't benefit from any amount of selling. It's a limited series about cats! You either love them or you don't, right? 

This is Nature, so there is an emphasis on nature photography and educational information. I did not know, for instance, that Panthers allegedly have the strongest jaws of any cat because they ate turtles. I knew that cats' whiskers were the size of their bodies and so used to gauge whether they could get through spaces, but I did not know that they can also be used to feel vibrations in water when hunting fish. (In fact, it always used to bother me when my domestic cat got her whiskers in her water bowl as I assumed this was a sign of age or slovenliness.) 

None of this is going to turn dog lovers into cat aficionados, but the series is a nice bit of fan service. I think cats are one of nature's most beautiful animals, alternately ferocious and sweet, elegant, powerful, and graceful. I was also impressed by the diversity within the species as a result of watching the program. I've always thought of cats as mostly the same, so this series is a good object lesson in adaptation to an environment. 

Super Cats is playing on PBS and now available on DVD. 

kenmorefield wrote:
: I did not know, for instance, that Panthers allegedly have the strongest jaws of any cat because they ate turtles.

And now I find myself hoping that there is a villain in Black Panther's rogues gallery called The Turtle.