Sign in to follow this  
kenmorefield

Trashing CDs and DVDs

Is there any less bad (I can't say "good") way to trash used CDs and DVDs?

I realize this is a first world problem, but with awards season over, I've got a 100 or more DVDs that I know I'll never watch again. Because these are watermarked for security, we are supposed to "destroy" them after viewing. That seems so environmentally wasteful. Is there an obvious solution to this problem that I am missing?

Good question: how *do* film critics go about destroying screeners? AFAIK, there aren't simple ways to recycle the discs themselves. Do some critics actually mail them back to the studios?

9 hours ago, Joel Mayward said:

Good question: how *do* film critics go about destroying screeners? AFAIK, there aren't simple ways to recycle the discs themselves. Do some critics actually mail them back to the studios?

I used to mail the Magnolia ones back, because they sent 20-30 each year in a bundle. I would be happy to return any screeners with postage, but I don't want to pay for 20-30 separate mailings. 

I kept my screeners for several years, simply because I thought I might want to eventually watch the ones I didn't get around to watching before annual deadlines, or would revisit the ones I enjoyed. But a couple of years ago, in a purge of "stuff" cluttering our house, I cut up most of those old screeners - yes, with heavy-duty scissors - as I'd been instructed to do. My hand muscles were sore for days afterward! 

Apologies to the environment, although I can't say that was a major concern of mine when committing the DVD-icide.