Sign in to follow this  
kenmorefield

2019 Top 25 Theme Vote

Which Theme Would You Prefer for the 2019 A&F Top 25 list?  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Apologies if I forgot anyone's suggested theme. I will suggest the deadline to vote of 11:59 p.m. EST on Thursday, January 24.

P.S. It probably goes without saying, but please vote only if you are planning on participating in some meaningful way. This will help me get a gauge on how many people will likey participate and what the work load will be. 

So Growing Older appears the pretty clear consensus.

One question before proceeding. Should we rename it because to something like Falling Upwards because of Darren’s post? Or is that a bit too esoteric for casual reader to know what we mean? 

Stating differently, is Falling Upwards one (of many) approaches to the broader topic or a better name for a narrowed topic?

I think "Growing Older" could work, although the theme as we discussed it is more than just films about the elderly or coming-of-age stories. We're discussing "second half" of life films, although not necessarily about a mid-life crisis. Even as I appreciate Rohr, "Falling Upward" might be too vague. I like Ricoeur's "living up to death" language, as it has a nice double meaning, though the films we explore don't need to just be about mortality or dying.

Perhaps "Aging Gracefully" could work.

I would go for the non-esoteric, for broader appeal.  Keeping the title simple has its virtues, too; I like "Growing Older" or "Growing Older and (Hopefully) Wiser," the latter giving room for films that are illustrative of instances of aging poorly.

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

http://secularcinephile.blogspot.com