Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John Drew

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)

765 posts in this topic

The problematic rights issues over J.R.R. Tolkien's <b>The Hobbit</b> may be cleared up, if Time Warners bid for MGM goes through. Sony Corp. seems to be the only other serious bidder... story <a href="http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1940&ncid=1990&e=6&u=/variety/20040718/va_fi_ne/inside_move___hobbit__could_end_up" target="_blank"><b>here</b></a>.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

This in from Aint It Cool News... so you know it must be true! laugh.gif

Warner Brothers has bought MGM?

Hey folks, Harry here... The drama of what is going to happen to MGM continues... Seems every giant entertainment corporation around has been working to land the lion. MGM has been a rather funky place for quite some time, the real significance of the place lies in its library and for me, the history of the place.

The word that has reached me today is that Warner Brothers officially purchased MGM today and that there will be board meetings tomorrow to discuss the integration process. At this point - consider it a highly placed rumor, but it looks like Leo will have a WB collar.

Looks like Harry doesn't bother to read CNN... they were reporting that WB was getting closer to purchasing MGM a week ago.

But if it's true... here's hoping Jackson and Co. come back.

(Mods - if you want to delete my no-post thread on the MGM/WB merger, feel free.)

Nevertheless, Sony will be a fool to pass up this golden opportunity. They should partner up with Time Warner and give New Line the foreign rights and keep the domestic rights at Columbia. "The Hobbit" is a $1 Billion dollar grosser waiting to happen.

A quick update. Pretty much more of the same, but at least Jackson isn't writing off the idea of filming this. Jackson says it will be 3 to 4 years before The Hobbit goes before the cameras...

Asked how long it would take to begin shooting the movie about the small, big-footed creatures, Jackson said: "Three or four years would be accurate."

In Sydney to talk to fans about his films, the director said that the movie's production date was uncertain because of Hollywood studio MGM's sale to Sony Corp oration.

Full story here.

Well, at least Jackson is still talking about making this movie. I hadn't heard anything about it since the DVD release of RotK, until now.

I heard some rumors a long time ago that if PJ does make this movie, Arwen would have a central role. Don't get me wrong, I like Arwen wub.gif, but I don't quite see how she could fit into this story. Nevertheless, I'll be happy if he makes it at all. smile.gif

Sheesh!! Why didn't they think to consider filming "The Hobbit" before they filmed the rest of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy??! ?

The "Hobbit" was the opener, and the most important episode, to boot.

From what I understand, New Line didn't have the rights to the Hobbit, and New Line was the best studio for the LOTR movies.

I like that they filmed the trilogy first. The ring and Bilbo are really the only connection between the two stories (maybe Gimli, son of Gloin), and I personally prefer LOTR anyway. They also had several references to the Hobbit, especially in the first film, so they at least acknowledged it in case they never did acquire the rights.

MGM announces plans to make this film in "one or two installments". Oy vey. Is there really enough material here for TWO movies? And is there any natural place to put a cliffhanger?

Also, is Peter Jackson really the person we want to tell this story? I'm all in favour of using the props and sets and even the actors from the earlier films ... but is this really the same kind of story?

I would have mixed feelings about seieng Jackson as the director. He would need to take a hint from the critics of Kong and try to restrain himself from going over the top at every possible opportunity.

The Hobbit is a much smaller story, and needs to be treated that way. If it's going to work, it'll be made with a lighter touch.

They'll need to stick to the text, without bloating small episodes into big action set pieces.

I'm confident that Serkis would be a highlight as Gollum again, but could they restrain themselves from writing Gollum a larger role?

And they absolutely must not sacrifice important episodes in order to make room for a sprawling 20-minute battle scene at the end. (So please, dear Lord, keep it away from Adamson.)

If Holm's going to play Bilbo, they'll have to do some marvelous effects work to make him seem younger. (I think McKellen's still in great condition to play Gandalf the Gray.)

Anybody have a good candidate for a young Ian Holm, a middle-aged Bilbo? Hitchhiker's Martin Freeman, perhaps?

IPB Image

Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet

I would have mixed feelings about seieng Jackson as the director. He would need to take a hint from the critics of Kong and try to restrain himself from going over the top at every possible opportunity.

Indeed. Overall, I think I would want Jackson to be at the helm to keep as much continuity of feel between LOTR and The Hobbit. But you're right he would need to go about it in a somewhat different way. And two movies is just ridiculous. By splitting the story (presumably in the hope of having two blockbusters) they run the danger of making both parts into complete turkeys.

Anybody have a good candidate for a young Ian Holm, a middle-aged Bilbo? Hitchhiker's Martin Freeman, perhaps?

Good suggestion. James McAvoy? By the time this film happens we won't think Tumnus every time we see him (though encountering him in real life dispels the connection immediately - it's the legs I think, and the fact that he's fully clothed, and his strong Scottish accent).

Or how about this for a wierd suggestion: since Holm played Frodo in the classic BBC radio adaptation of LOTR from the early 80s, how about using Elijah Wood? He'd need different prosthetics of course, but we'd feel there was a certain family likeness!

tony

Brian Blessed IS Beorn. 'Nuff said.

If Holm's going to play Bilbo, they'll have to do some marvelous effects work to make him seem younger.
Well, FWIW, Holm DID play the Hobbit-era Bilbo only a few years ago, albeit very, very briefly, in the FOTR prologue in Gollum's cave. Is it so inconceivable that he could do it again? It would give the films great continuity.

Brian Blessed IS Beorn. 'Nuff said.
I'm hip.

Putting aside my entirely negative feelings about a PJ-helmed Hobbit, Freeman could be fun. But I'll stick out my purist neck and offer up an unabashed 100% American voice that I still think might be able to bring some fun to the party: Josh Molina. ::pinch::

Yup, you can laugh now. But I've got you thinking...come on...think think think.

Re: McKellen and Gandalf's age -- it was my impression that in the Lord of the Rings films, McKellen played Gandalf a little "older" (more coughing, stiffer limbs, etc.) in the EARLY scenes, and then got "younger" when he changed from Gandalf the Grey to Gandalf the White. So if McKellen himself should have less "acting" to do when it comes time to play Gandalf the Grey again ... well, it wouldn't necessarily pose any continuity problems. :)

Todd,

I'm thinking, thinking, thinking... and I just don't see it. You'll have to persuade me.

During an interview years back, Fran Walsh once pointed out the difficulty of making distinct and well-rounded characters out of all the dwarfs. I wonder if that would indeed pose a dramatic problem.

I was Bombur in my junior high play. I had yards of 3 inch foam around my middle. It does not belabor my modesty to say I was the most well-rounded of the Dwarves.

Do you think that MGM will get Orlando Bloom to do a Legolas-cameo in Tharanduil's palace?

Do you think that MGM will get Orlando Bloom to do a Legolas-cameo in Tharanduil's palace?

I don't like monkeying around with characters like that (I was intensely irritated by the lack of Glorfindel in LOTR) but in this case I think it's not a bad idea.

And what about Arwen? If we're going to Rivendell, will she pay Bilbo a visit?

And what about Arwen? If we're going to Rivendell, will she pay Bilbo a visit?

And then we could flash back to Arwen from time to time, watching her worrying through her day. And when Bilbo gets knocked out at the battle of the Five Armies, it could be Arwen who psychically awakens Bilbo by wiggling her fingers while lying on her couch.

:D