Sign in to follow this  
Joel Mayward

2018 Arts & Faith Ecumenical Jury: Final Results

Here it is: the Top 10 list is live at Transpositions: http://www.transpositions.co.uk/2018-arts-and-faith-ecumenical-jury-part-one-top-10/

Our 2018 Top 10:

10. 24 Frames

9. Support the Girls

8. Jeannette: The Childhood of Joan of Arc

7. Minding the Gap

6. First Man

5. Shoplifters

4. The Rider

3. Won't You Be My Neighbor?

2. Leave No Trace

1. First Reformed

Joel, thanks for your hard work on this. As I mentioned on Facebook, I like this list a lot. Not because it reflects all my choices, it doesn't. But it is a list that mixes World Cinema with American cinema, includes narrative and documentary, shows diversity (in my opinion) and does invite discussion about spirituality. Well done, everyone. 

Thanks Ken! And thanks to the jury for their ongoing patience and rich contributions in the write-ups. There really isn't any other 2018 top list I've seen that is quite like this one, and I was pleasantly surprised when 24 Frames and Jeanette ended up in our top 10. Plus, our Honourable Mentions picks are pretty out-of-the-box too. Those are coming on Friday.

Ken beat me to posting it! Loved reading each critics' honourable mention choices and their reasoning behind it, and I'm glad we took the time to include the write-ups for these films instead of just listing them, although some opted just to list a film...and some folks never got back to me about their pick! Which is totally fine--I just want to know what they liked in 2018.  

Just for the sake of it, here are all of the films from both the EJ Top 10 and Honourable mentions (alphabetical order):

22 July

24 Frames

Annihilation

Bad Times at the Hotel Royale

BlacKkKlansman

The Death of Stalin

Eighth Grade

First Man

First Reformed

The House that Jack Built

I Am Not a Witch

Isle of Dogs

Jeannette: The Childhood of Joan of Arc

Lean on Pete

Leave No Trace

Let the Sunshine In

Lovers of the Night

Minding the Gap

Paddington 2

A Quiet Place

The Rider

Shoplifters

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Support the Girls

What They Had

Won't You Be My Neighbor?

That's quite the eclectic 2018 list.

Very nicely done, folks - well-written, persuasive, and presented in an aesthetically pleasing form.  Lots of overlaps between our lists, showing that some of the language may change (pastoral vs. humanistic), but much doesn't (compassion), and that great art is often simply great art.  Just one suggestion: you may want to put a link to the Honorable Mention list in Part One.

Edited by Andrew

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

Very nicely done, folks - well-written, persuasive, and presented in an aesthetically pleasing form.  Lots of overlaps between our lists, showing that some of the language may change (pastoral vs. humanistic), but much doesn't (compassion), and that great art is often simply great art.  Just one suggestion: you may want to put a link to the Honorable Mention list in Part One

Thanks, Andrew, both for sharing the list on Facebook, and for pointing out the missing link in Part One--I'll get that amended ASAP.