Sign in to follow this  
Anders

Great Comic Books

The last issue of BONE came out recently. Any other BONE fans out there? Loved that book. Good ending, but kind of sad it's over. Jeff Smith was hinting at doing some more mainstream stuff now that BONE is over.

I also keep up with Stranger's in Paradise. Great art even greater writing.

I love what Jim Lee and Azzerelo did with their run on Batman, and am enjoying their run on Superman, but not sure where this one's headed yet. I'm kind of lost with the whole Lois Lane is dead thing. Is that something they introduced, or did that happen recently in Superman's world?

I also picked up a T.P. of Ultimate X-men vollume seven, where Spider-man and Wolverine are teamed up.

I also pick up any Astro City comic that comes out.

Some of my Favorite Writers and Artists:

Kurt Busiek

Alex Ross

Jae Lee

Travis Charest

Lee and Charest are two of the best artists I ever seen. If only they could

Produce faster.

Sam Kieth-Love the Maxx!!!!

Frank Miller- 300!! His best work ever!

Gary Frank

Peter David- Loved his Supergirl

Much more I can't think of now.

Astonishing X-Men  (and I agree, Whedon's book is probably the best X-title out right now, as I actually don't really like Chuck Austen at all)

Not a big Austen fan myself, although he's doing good work on Action Comics. His Uncanny X-Men stuff a few months ago was thought provoking, but his recent Avengers stint was too blatantly political.

Wanted (I'm just a big Mark Millar fan, I'm juvenile I guess)

Ultimates and his Spider-Man are awfully cool. Any thoughts on Chosen?

I love well done off-beat humor comics, something there's never enough of. Bob Burden's "Flaming Carrot" and Ben Edlund's "The Tick" are classics in that area. Unfortunately those guys don't work much anymore. Back in the old days (the 80s), Keith Giffen put out a few "Ambush Bug" series' and I sometimes wonder if I've laughed that hard since.

As far as popular creators go, a few off the top of my head that catch my eye often are:

Bendis

Loeb

Peter David

Busiek

Alex Ross

Mark Waid

Giffen

DeMatteis

Mark Millar

Alan Moore

Frank Miller

Pretty much the usual suspects. McFarelane blew my mind as a kid with his revolutionary take on Amazing Spider-Man, (he may've been the Jack Kirby of my generation) but almost all his subsequent work hasn't appealled to me.

JiM T

Ultimates and his Spider-Man are awfully cool. Any thoughts on Chosen?

I agree. I so badly want to make an Ultimates movie. I never liked The Avengers, but Millar changed my mind with that one.

As for Chosen, I'm finding it an interesting take on Christ's return. I'm looking forward to the third issue. Though I'm sure many would find it a little bit Last Temptation-ish, it's definitely thought provoking. I'd love for someone like Peter or SDG to read this and give me their ideas on it.

Alex Ross

LOVE the guy. My ex-girlfriend got my his Mythology book at Christmas. Some beautiful stuff.

Mark Waid

Ah, how could I forget. Waid's current run on Fantastic Four is incredibly underrated. And Kingdom Come...wow! Loved it.

Speaking of which , there are a lot of biblical references in KC, and the character of the pastor, who was based on Alex Ross's dad, a real life pastor, is so interesting. A wonderful story of a character's struggle with faith and redemption and the importance of humanity.

The last issue of BONE came out recently.  Any other BONE fans out there?  Loved that book.  Good ending, but kind of sad it's over.  Jeff Smith was hinting at doing some more mainstream stuff now that BONE is over.

There's a mega-super-total-collection of Bone coming out that I just ordered. It's the entire run in one book. Looking forward to it smile.gif

I saw Peter David meantioned. Is anyone else reading Fallen Angel? I'm just buying the trades for this one, but it's an amazing read!

He's also a ditto to Ander's thumbs up to Waid's run on Fantastic Four. Marvel just released a hardcover of the first 12 issues or so of his run, and if you've been interested in checking out Marvel's First Family but haven't found a good spot to do so, this is it.

Edited by solishu

What's Craig Thompson done?  His name is familiar to me....

Blankets...

Favorite artists?

in no particular order:

Steve Dillon

Jim Lee (the most poorly ripped off artist in comics)

Kevin Maguire

Adam Hughes

Frank Cho

John Cassaday

Brandon Peterson

Alex Ross

I could probably think of some more if I tried harder.

Funny this should come up now -- there was a fascinating article in a recent New York Times magazine about the rise of the graphic novel as a form of literature in its own right.

One of the titles they mentioned sounded like it could be particularly interesting -- has anyone perused '100 Bullets'?

As a young lad, I was an exchange student to France, where I blew quite a bit of my spending money on 'Asterix' books, by Goscinny and Uderzo - I enjoyed the satire, the lush colors, and the entertaining depiction of action sequences. I still return to these from time to time, occasionally picking up additional volumes during family trips to Quebec.

One of the titles they mentioned sounded like it could be particularly interesting -- has anyone perused '100 Bullets'?

I've skimmed through it at comic book stores, but have yet to pick up an issue. I do want to, however... the premise sounds intriguing, and I've heard nothing but good things about it.

100 Bullets hooked me on Brian Azzarello. I've picked up everything he's done since I read that book.

Sleeper, by Ed Brubaker, is in the same vein of noir espionage, but I think it goes even further into it's "hero"s head.

Has anyone here read Sandman:Endless Nights? I haven't seen it brought up in this thread, but it definitely ranks as a Great Comic Book. I'd say it excels over Gaiman's other Sandman work, perhaps excluding Game of You and Season of Mists.

its not exactly marvel but has anyone read Jimmy Corrigan Boy Genius?

there's a graphic novel with a narrative if i ever saw one....its really very moving.

becca

Has anyone here read Sandman:Endless Nights? I haven't seen it brought up in this thread, but it definitely ranks as a Great Comic Book. I'd say it excels over Gaiman's other Sandman work, perhaps excluding Game of You and Season of Mists.

Yes, I have. It is definitely great but it is dependent upon the rest of the Sandman series as much as each individual volume. Sandman is basically my life, the experience is so beautifully rich and fulfilling. A Game of You is the best, I cried for thirty minutes straight after I read it and it was one of the first comic books I'd ever read. I certainly wasn't expecting to get that kind of emotion out of it. Nor the intelligence, really, the complexity of the themes and storytelling definitely make it literature.

Some Favorites:

Chris Claremont & John Byrne's X-Men: The Phoenix Saga

JM DeMatteis & Kent Williams' Blood: A Tale

Sam Kieth's The Maxx

Frank Miller's Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

Frank Miller's Sin City series.

Frank Miller's Wolverine miniseries (1982)

Frank Miller & Geoff Darrow's Hard Boiled

Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons' The Watchmen

Alan Moore and David Lloyd's V for Vendetta

Grant Morrison & Dave McKean's Arkham Asylum

Bill Sienkiewicz' Elektra: Assassin miniseries

Miller and Sienkiewicz are my faves.

I love Sam Kieth's work as well--he's incredibly underrated.

I should mention I know and am good friends with him; watching his works in progress is insane--I'm consistently amazed at what comes out of his head, especially seeing it there on the drawing board full sized before shrunken down. The fact that he writes, pencils and inks it all is astounding to me--and what's more astounding is his humility.

Anyone here ever get into Savage Sword of Conan?

--------------------

Edited by Jason Bortz

OOooo....the Maxx was wonderful. I think I will have to pull those out and read them again in a few weeks.

The Maxx was great! I loved the first 20 issues or so. After that Kieth seemed to lose track of the story, and kept introducing new characters that didn't really have much to do with Maxx. They were always interesting, but never seemed to merge into the rest of the story or end on their own for that matter. I always loved Keiths art though.

I've picked up a few of his side projects too that are alot of fun. Like Leggs, and the Wolverine/Hulk mini that he did. Very cool stuff.

So, I finished reading the third issue of DC's Identity Crisis, and it's shaping up to be pretty interesting, in a summer that is filled with so-called "event" books I'm really liking this one (I don't really consider Whedon's Astonishing X-men to be a summer event, because I'm hoping it continues for quite a while). I'm really enjoying how the recent issue is showcasing some of the JLA's team dynamics and the split between the "biggies" (ie: Batman, Superman) and some of the major, yet more peripheral figures (like Green Arrow, Black Canary).

Also finished the final issue of Mark Millar's Chosen.

spoilers1.gif

The big twist was pretty shocking, but it probably shouldn't have been. Also, as a Christian who believes in the second coming, the twist at the end makes a lot more sense theologically, than having Christ return as a child, again. What do you guys make of Millar's tale? Especially its exploration of faith in a pretty "hard-R" rated series?

Edited by Anders

FYI: Kieth's new Ojo just released with rave reviews across the board.

And I just got the script for the feature which will shoot in October.

FYI: Kieth's new Ojo just released with rave reviews across the board.

And I just got the script for the feature which will shoot in October.

I ordered Ojo, but won't be able to read it until I go back to the states next summer sad.gif

What script are you talking about?

Sam's shooting Ojo as an indie in October. They're in pre-production right now.

This was the only thread where I saw any mention of the Garth Ennis's Preacher series, so I thought I'd post this bit of news here. Apparently Mark Steven Johnson - he who brought you adaptations of Daredevil and Ghost Rider - had been trying to adapt Preacher as a series for HBO. Well, that idea is now dead... and that may not be a bad thing, considering how Daredevil and Ghost Rider turned out.

Story here.