Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

The Best of Enemies (2019)

Not to be confused with the 2015 documentary about Gore Vidal and William F. Buckley.

*This* film is a dramatization/fictionalization of the relationship between civil rights activist Ann Atwater (Taraji P Henson) and KKK leader C.P. Ellis (Sam Rockwell). It's currently slated for an April 5 release.

I have a write up coming for Christianity Today, but in the meantime, I was interviewed by university's student-produced television show about why the film is important/relevant to our students. Very impressed with our budding student journalists. (Interview starts at 3:08 mark) 

Did the student journalist know that the play by Mark St. Germain (on which the movie is based, I suppose) is being produced by Campbell Theatre Arts, also in April?

Curiously, this film does not seem to have a Canadian release date yet. I'm vaguely reminded of how that Thurgood Marshall biopic from a couple years back never got released here either.

FWIW, it was just announced today that this film will be getting a Canadian release on April 12 -- one week after the American release.

Write up of my interview with Henson, Robin Bissell (director/writer) and Dominique Telson (Producer): https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2019/april-web-only/best-of-enemies-overcoming-fear-with-love.html

Oh absolutely,” Taraji P. Henson told Christianity Today when we asked if her faith in God informs her choice of roles as an actress and influenced her to take on the challenge of playing Ann Atwater in Best of Enemies. “I look for projects that are going to transform people … and spark intelligent conversation.”

For Henson, it is especially important to look for films that will “push envelopes [in a way to] make you want to do something good to change a bad situation.”

David Cook wrote this review for Christian Spotlight, and he mentioned to me via e-mail that he would welcome constructive feedback, particularly from anyone with experience reviewing. If you have a moment, if you have any comments for David. (I don't know if he's posted here, but I think he has an account.)

https://christiananswers.net/spotlight/movies/2019/bestofenemies2019.html