Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

The Poisonwood Bible

Amy Adams Inks First-Look Deal With HBO; Starts Production Company, Developing ‘Poisonwood Bible’
Amy Adams has signed a first-look deal with HBO and launched new production company Bond Group Entertainment with her manager Stacy O’Neil. HBO also announced the first project under the deal, Poisonwood Bible, based on the Barbara Kingsolver novel, which is being developed as a limited series. . . .
Co-written by Anya Epstein (The Affair, In Treatment) and Kingsolver, Poisonwood Bible, based on Kingsolver’s novel, follows Orleanna Price, the wife of an evangelical missionary who takes her and their four daughters to the Belgian Congo in the midst of colonial upheaval in 1959. What follows is a suspenseful epic of tragic undoing and remarkable reconstruction in the interlocked fates of one family and a newly independent African nation. . . .
Deadline.com, March 12

This is one of my wife's favourite books (she was a missionary kid in SE Asia in the 1980s). And Amy Adams is one of our favourite actresses. This could be good.

I can't believe we don't have a thread for this novel in the "Literature" forum (I checked, already knowing that if we did, PTC would have found it & linked it to the original post here :) ). As a missionary kid from the Congo/Zaire/Congo, I recognized the excellence of the writing, characterization, and structure, but generally disliked the experience of reading it. Mixed responses from my fellow Congo MKs, a few of whom had actually known the Kingsolvers.

In an interesting twist, high school MK friends, now missionaries in the Kikongo region (near Kinshasa), posted photos of Kingsolver and her husband who were visiting the area this week, to revisit the place of her childhood memories (though some who knew her then say she rarely ventured out of the house) and to lecture at the university on the value of education and environmental preservation.

A TV series is probably a better medium than a movie for this complex, multi-perspectival and decades-long novel. It will probably just reinforce anti-missionary prejudices, though.