Sign in to follow this  
kenmorefield

Name that Movie from Ken's Cryptic Notes

I have a stack of $1 notebooks from Target that I keep on my bookshelf and I use to take notes for DVDs or screenings. Most of the time I will come home from a screening, write a review (from my notes) and then destroy the notes. Occasionally, I will keep the notes because I haven't reviewed the film yet (there's an embargo) or I am on the fence about reviewing, etc. Then, when looking for a clean notebook, I'll find a bunch of notes and wonder, "Have I reviewed this yet, or did I decide not to?"

So, here are my notes...can anyone tell me what movie I was watching?

"I guess you call your lustful action love."

"I hope you're proud."
"I know both these young people."

"We're still not married. Neither of us cares what that means."
"You gotta say grace."

Edit: I will sometime scour my Letterboxd log for help, but I have no idea: https://letterboxd.com/kenmorefield/films/diary/

Just to clarify, Ken: These are your notes about what was happening on-screen? Or are they excerpted quotes from character dialogue? Maybe a mix of both?

They are *usually* quotes. If it is a thought or note to myself or a comment, I'll *usually* put a box around it, and none of these had that. 

You're in Beale Street, baby.  I need to read Baldwin's novel to give credit where it's due, but Jenkins's screenplay is so amazing.  Did anybody see a jaw-droppingly better-written scene this year than the one those quotes came from?  Not this guy.

9 hours ago, Russ said:

You're in Beale Street, baby.  I need to read Baldwin's novel to give credit where it's due, but Jenkins's screenplay is so amazing.  Did anybody see a jaw-droppingly better-written scene this year than the one those quotes came from?  Not this guy.

Russ, you are amazing. I'm all the more chagrined that I didn't place these notes b/c I am such a huge Baldwin fan.

On 3/21/2019 at 1:44 PM, Russ said:

Jenkins is pretty faithful to the plot and cadences of Baldwin's novel.  Only two divergences jump out at me.  In this scene, Jenkins dropped Baldwin's attacks on the promiscuity and hypocrisy of one of Fonny's sisters, and I think the scene is stronger for it.  The film's ending is also all Jenkins, with the prayer near the end being rather antithetical to Baldwin's ex-Christian (even anti-Christian) stance.

But I agree with Russ that this scene is marvelously composed - from my recollection of 2018, only Death of Stalin and First Reformed have stronger scripts.

Edited by Andrew

Thanks so much for that background, Andrew.  I agree with your take that the confrontation scene is stronger without that angle--it's so dense as it is, and I won't forget how the intensity of those exchanges just left the whole theater gobsmacked.  

Add this one to the Pantheon of Films With Final Scenes in Prisons With Divine Gracenotes--this film, L'ENFANT, PICKPOCKET.