18. Summer Hours
  19. Another Year
  20. Maadadayo Madadayo
  21. 35 Shots of Rum
  22. Sunset Boulevard
  23. You Can't Take it WIth You
  24. The Remains of the Day
  25. King Lear

Below is an alphabetical list of the top 29 vote getters. Later today I will add an optional Round 2 ballot for anyone who wants to rank the films. I have included 29 because we (more or less agreed) that I would revisit the question of eligibility threshold (how many people had to have seen the film among voters. There were four films among the Top 25 that scored very high but which had a low number of people voting. Rather than me deciding unilaterally whether to include them (or the next four), I did both and figured the Top 25 on Round 2 voting would be our final list. This will disadvantage the films that fewer people have seen, but it will also allow for films with smaller but passionate advocates to have a chance against films that had a high/low splits or a lot of neutrals and a handful of advocates. 

A note on Round 2 voting. It will have these 29 films and ask you to RANK them (from 1 to 29). You may use whatever criteria you like. This may require you (if you participate) to rank one or more films you haven't seen. You may base that on reputation, arguments of others, wanting it to rank ahead or below a film you strongly agree/strongly disagree with, etc.  

If you voted in Round 1 and choose not to vote in Round 2 please leave a message here so that I won't hold up calculations based on your vote. 

Here are your Top 29:

35 Shots of Rum -- Overstreet

35 Up -- Russ

Another Year - Joel M. 

All That Jazz -- Evan

Before Midnight -- Joel M. 

The Browning Version -- Evan

Faces Places -- Overstreet

Gertrud

The Gleaners & I - Ed B. 

King Lear - Ken

Late Spring -- Russ

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp - Joshua W.

Limelight - Joshua W.

Maadadayo -- Andrew

Make Way for Tomorrow -- Russ

The Man Who Planted Trees - Rob Z. 

The Old Man and the Sea - Rob Z. 

Persuasion - Ken

Poetry -- Brian D. 

The Remains of the Day -- John Drew

The Straight Story -- Ed B. 

Summer Hours - Anders

Sunset Boulevard - Evan

Synecdoche, New York - Joel M.

Things to Come -Evan

Tokyo Story -- Andrew 

Umberto D -- Ken

Wild Strawberries - Anders

You Can't Take It with You -- Brian D. 

As a preliminary comment -- it looks to me like voters broke hard for films about the aged/elderly over "coming of age" and/or mid-life crises, though there is a smattering of the latter .

As another postscript -- if you are interested in writing one or more of the blurbs for any of the films above, please give your Top 3 films for which you would be willing to write a blurb. (Also please mention if you are interested/willing in writing the introduction/overview. I can do it, but I'm happy to share.) The final write up will be here (at Arts & Faith) though I'm looking into the feasibility of making a separate *page* rather than just a forum thread.)

Great list, everyone.  This is a list of real substance and character.  

Thank you so much for your work on this, Ken.

Here is the ranking of my blurb preferences in order of "I would be most excited to write about..."  Please, though, give first dibs to the nominators since I wasn't the nominator of any of these. :) 

1. Poetry 

2. You Can't Take it With You

3. The Gleaners and I

If none of those are available, I would also enjoy writing about:

4. Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

5. Limelight

Fascinating list.  I'd love to write about 1. Madadayo, 2. one of the Ozu films, and maybe a third film if needed.

I've seen all of them except Poetry (picked up the DVD on way to class tonight to rectify that), though some I'd have to revisit to be able to write about since it's been awhile. As such, I was figuring I could play roaming safety and pick up what's left (if anything). That said, in a perfect world, my preferences would be (assuming they make the final cut):

1) Persuasion

2) Gertrud

3) King Lear

But don't let that stop anyone from requesting those, because having more participants writing blurbs would make me happier than getting to write about any/all of my first choices. (Now, if we do decide to do the companion book, that's another story....)

I'd be happy to write about:

1) All That Jazz

2) Sunset Boulevard

3) The Browning Version

I'd write about:

1) Summer Hours

2) Tokyo Story

3) Wild Strawberries

Not to be premature, but thinking about how to post/publish the list got me reviewing the page for the last Top 100: 

http://artsandfaith.com/t100/2011/t100/

A healthy part of the discussion in the run-up to doing the Top 25 was deciding between a Top 25 and a Top 100. We were trying to decide whether there was enough interest (we had 18 participants in Round 1 voting though there may have been one or two people who nominated films but didn't vote in Round 1). 

I am/was also concerned whether or not a new Top 100 or Top 25 would simply be a regurgitation of the same film(s) under a different label. Preliminary results there seem more interesting. I count 5 films among our finalists that were on the last Top 100 (Make Way for Tomorrow; Tokyo Story; Wild Strawberries; The Straight Story; and Summer Hours). In addition, some other films from the Top 100 were nominated but didn't make the Top 29 finalists (Babette's Feast, The Mirror, It's a Wonderful Life, Ran). We also had some different titles for the same auteurs (Gertrud instead of Ordet or Day of Wrath; Umberto D. rather than Bicycle Thieves; Maadadayo instead of Ikiru). So it's hard to tell if that reflects a change in A&F participation or change in reputations of the film. 

My tentative perception is that our list skews a *little* more toward classic Hollywood while the Top 100 goes a little more toward World Cinema (Browning Version, You Can't Take it With You, Old Man & The Sea, etc.) 

The fact that nobody nominated The Apostle, Tender Mercies, The Death of Mr. Lazerescu, or Amadeus suggests that people didn't just simply go through the Top 100 and pick out films about aging. And some of the films that were nominated (but didn't make the cut for "Growing Old(er)" theme also suggest a Top 100 would look different enough to be more than a repetitive exercise. 

That said, 18 participants does feel a little low for a Top 100 even if it seemed sufficient for a Top 25. 

I'm curious for any other assessments: has this process and the preliminary results made you more or less sanguine about doing another Top 100 in 2020? 

I hate ranking things. However, I shall do my best. This is a good list.

My order preference for blurbs starts with the two I nominated that made the top 29:

1. The Gleaners & I
2. The Straight Story
3. either Late Spring or Poetry

I'm very pleased with this list. Thanks for all you did to make this happen and all you have yet to do, Ken.

3 hours ago, kenmorefield said:

I'm curious for any other assessments: has this process and the preliminary results made you more or less sanguine about doing another Top 100 in 2020? 

The films nominated and chosen for this top 25 mostly just remind of how I love to learn about film alongside you guys at Arts and Faith.  That and the thoughtful and respectful discussion that went into the choices. These reminders of my enjoyment of the A and F community make me keen to be part of a top 100 perhaps even more than the new top 25 results themselves.

Yes, I love this list! I do wish a few more of my top picks that featured women had made it (or just any few more that didn't skew male or couple in focus).

My top 2 choices to write blurbs on would be

1. The Man Who Planted Trees

2. The Old Man and the Sea 

(The animated shorts, I know...)

On 4/16/2019 at 10:07 AM, kenmorefield said:

I'm looking into the feasibility of making a separate *page* rather than just a forum thread.

I think it's important to have a separate page, like all the previous Top 25s had. That would make it much more usable than a forum thread.

2 hours ago, kenmorefield said:

Not to be premature, but thinking about how to post/publish the list got me reviewing the page for the last Top 100: 

http://artsandfaith.com/t100/2011/t100/

Weren't the Top 25s always in the sidebar on this page? Okay, I googled for those lists and found them here http://artsandfaith.com/t100/25_memory.html

That's the Memory list with the others in the sidebar. It looks like the Mercy and Waking Up lists are only on the Image website. Could those pages (or their content, at any rate) be transferred back to A&F so that they are all in one place? Doing that would make these lists a far more usable resource. At a minimum, those lists should have a separate page with a link to the already existing list at Image. Or at Transpositions more recently.

I think that A&F really needs a public-facing Home page with a greeting/welcome and brief explanation of A&F as a community. The Forums could be a link from there,  as could the Top 100 and themed Top 25 lists and yearly Ecumenical Jury lists. And A&F would be a great place to host a list of film review websites that are done by the members here. That's another page that could link from the new A&F Home page.

1 hour ago, Rob Z said:

Weren't the Top 25s always in the sidebar on this page? Okay, I googled for those lists and found them here http://artsandfaith.com/t100/25_memory.html

I wonder if Wild Strawberries is on every A&F list regardless of length/topic? 
Would be interesting to see what film/films have appeared on the most lists (different incarnations of Top 100 and Top 25).

Hi Ken,

I would be happy to write about:
1. Limelight

2. The Gleaners and I

3. The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

(and though you said 3...)

4. Madadayo

5. Make Way for Tomorrow

8 hours ago, Rob Z said:

7 hours ago, Rob Z said:

I think that A&F really needs a public-facing Home page with a greeting/welcome and brief explanation of A&F as a community. The Forums could be a link from there,  as could the Top 100 and themed Top 25 lists and yearly Ecumenical Jury lists. And A&F would be a great place to host a list of film review websites that are done by the members here. That's another page that could link from the new A&F Home page.

In principle, I don't object to any of this, but being okay with it and having the technical know-how to do it (or the coin to pay someone else) are two different things. 
The blog roll / external links is a dicey issue for historical reasons (once upon a time there was a home page feature of select links but it was limited to only certain members and the criteria for whose site/work could be linked and whose could not was somewhat capricious.) So if we had something similar I might be inclined to have that be an ad space or a place reserved for people who donate some $$ to defray website costs. 

EDIT: I also wonder if there were a different landing page whether that would mess up any existing links either externally or internally...

7 hours ago, kenmorefield said:

I wonder if Wild Strawberries is on every A&F list regardless of length/topic? 
Would be interesting to see what film/films have appeared on the most lists (different incarnations of Top 100 and Top 25)

When you mentioned this, I remembered that someone had posted a spreadsheet a while back (after the Top 25 on Mercy) that had all films that had ever been on an A&F list. Glancing through that, and including this list and Waking Up, it looks like Tokyo Story and Wild Strawberries are the only ones with 7 instances. Both have been on all five Top 100 lists and two Top 25s.

12 hours ago, kenmorefield said:

I count 5 films among our finalists that were on the last Top 100 (Make Way for Tomorrow; Tokyo Story; Wild Strawberries; The Straight Story; and Summer Hours). In addition, some other films from the Top 100 were nominated but didn't make the Top 29 finalists (Babette's Feast, The Mirror, It's a Wonderful Life, Ran).

I think we got this exactly right. The former films seem more on theme to me and the latter ones all more "spiritually significant" which I take to be defining feature, albeit one that can be interpreted in many ways, of the Top 100.

The fact that nobody nominated The Apostle, Tender Mercies, The Death of Mr. Lazerescu, or Amadeus suggests that people didn't just simply go through the Top 100 and pick out films about aging.

Likewise, each of these films seems more Top 100 appropriate, except probably Mr. Lazerescu.

I definitely feel good about the prospects for a new Top 100 based on the community's activity with this list. I look forward to participating.

15 minutes ago, Rob Z said:

Glancing through that, and including this list and Waking Up, it looks like Tokyo Story and Wild Strawberries are the only ones with 7 instances. Both have been on all five Top 100 lists and two Top 25s.

The Straight Story also has 7. There may be others...

I went ahead and assigned some blurbs (see message #2 above). 

Please keep in mind that only 25 of the 29 films will make the final list, so if you don't want to do the actual writing until after Round 2 is completed, that's okay. Do be thinking about what you want to say, though, so that we can have a reasonably quick turn around  time to get the list up. 

I was able to give everyone so far his first or second choice, so if you anyone wants to take on additional blurbs as volunteers slow down, I am okay with that. As I said, we have a little lull right now while voters who care to do so are catching up with one or two films before doing round 2 ranking.

Fascinating list. I can write blurbs on the following (in order of preference, and depending on if they're in the Top 25):

1. Before Midnight

2. Faces Places

3. Another Year

4. Synecdoche, New York

I'd be up for any of these, but I should probably write no more than three.

1. Faces Places (since Gleaners is already take, and I've already written so much about that one)

2. 35 Shots of Rum

3. Another Year

I'd also be willing to write about 35 Up, if necessary.

Quick update on blurbs -- the html template I am thinking about using has an "About Us" link that I thought would be nice for anyone who contributes a blurb to be able to write a few sentences about yourself and promote any personal or professional projects or affiliations. So be thinking about 2-3 sentences about you (optional) to include with any blurbs.

Good morning, everyone. I have closed Round 2 voting and populated the first message with our list in ranked order. Per our discussion, 2 voters left a handful of films unranked, so I manually calculated all those films as receiving equal weight. That affected the placement of three films in the 11-20 range but had no impact on the Top 10 or the films that did not make the final cut.

The last four out, painful cuts all, were: Synecdoche, NY; The Browning Version; The Old Man & The Sea; and, All That Jazz. 

What happens now? 

Assigning Blurbs:

Here are the films that don't have blurb writers yet:

35 Up

Gertrud

Late Spring

Make Way for Tomorrow

The Remains of the Day

Things to Come

Umberto D.

Since both of Evan's choices got the axe (ouch!), he is welcome to take any 2 of those of his choice, if he wishes.  Ed B. had volunteered to do Late Spring, and I am okay with that, but since he is also doing The Straight Story, I'm not sure if we want the same person writing blurbs for #1 and #2, so I'll take volunteers for Late Spring for a day or two and if nobody else asks I'll see if Ed will do it. (Alternately, Ed, if you prefer to do Late Spring, I could reassign The Straight Story.) I could do Gertrud, but I already have two, so if anyone else wants it, I'm happy to let him/her have it. Jeffrey said he could do 35 Up, but he also has 2 so if I'd prioritize giving others a chance if anyone wants in.

Web Page/Landing Spot:

I have downloaded a free .html web-page template that I think is cool. (It's got a carousel for pics and a place for us to put bio blurbs for contributors.) My goal is to upload it on/by June 1 (I'm traveling May 12-22), so please send me your blurbs by May 25 and please include a separate 2-3 sentence for the About You page if you would like something more than your name to be included in the contributor list. (A home page, web presence, publication list -- your chance to promote yourself or your work.)

Book?

My publisher has expressed interested in a book of essays accompanying the list. I would probably need between 10-15 contributors to write essays either about particular films or themes in the list (parenting, jobs, mortality, marriage, etc.). I doubt I'd get that here since we have 18 total voters and I am not sure everyone would be interested in writing an essay. If you are, please let me know below and what film or theme/you would be interested in. If there are at least 5-6 who would want to do that, I can put out a CFP (Call for Papers) outside the group and most likely get enough. If I/we did a book, we'd set our own deadline. Realistically, I would think to submit a proposal by June 1 and, if the book were issued a contract, to get essays by December 15. 

Discussing the Films

I would encourage everyone who has watched one or more of the films during the process to post a comment in the thread for that film (or make one) to seed the discussion at A&F. 

Thanks to everyone who participated. It was a fun process and is an interesting list.