kenmorefield

RESULTS: Top 25 Spiritually Significant Films on Growing Older

On 5/3/2019 at 2:29 PM, Rob Z said:

I'd love to contribute an essay on The Man Who Planted Trees, but I have a lot on my plate in the next year, so don't let me be the deciding factor in whether a book happens or not. If the book happens, I'd certainly WANT to contribute, but that's all I can commit to at this point.

I'm in the same boat. I would love to write a topical essay for the book but can't make any commitments. If it works out, I'm thinking something along the lines of film depictions of finding purpose after retirement (or after the given culture's general idea of what age retirement should happen). This can allow for discussion on multiple films on the list as well as others nominated that didn't make the final cut. But, as of now, like Rob, all I can say for certain is that I want to.

I went ahead and penciled in Russ for Late Spring, Make Way, and 35 Up, and I gave myself Umberto D. since that had orphaned. 

That leaves Gertrud unclaimed. Both Russ and I said we could do it, so I'm open to switching one of us to that film is nobody wants it as a third or would prefer one of the three we are doing:

Ken: King Lear, Persuasion, Umberto D.

Russ: Late Spring, Make Way for Tomorrow, and 35 Up. 

My laptop seems to struggle with being able to access the Arts and Faith messenger.  I've managed to send messages intermittently, but not today. 

Ken, would you mind sharing your email address with me either here or by sending it to me at [...]  I wanted to send you another message or two in relation to my blurbs.  Thank you!

Edited by kenmorefield
Removed e-mail

Brian,
I sent e-mail (and then redacted your e-mail address from message above.)

Russ, you are welcome to send via A&F Messenger or e-mail. I can do either.

P.S. I'm back from Ireland everyone. 

By the way, if you wish a photo to accompany your bio blurb, please send me a headshot. If not, I will use whatever avatar you have at A&F. 

Thanks to everyone who has sent in blurbs so far. I'm just about ready with the page, but I've been having some connectivity problems since I got back from Ireland that is slowing the process.

The web page construction is complete, but I am missing the following:

-- Bio from Ed B. if wanted to include.

-- Blurbs (and bio if wanted) from Anders, Jeffrey, and John. If you don't wish to or are unable to do blurbs any longer, please let me know and I will reassign. 

I'm still having some tech issues with uploading the files to a site and getting the scripts to work. I've test loaded it onto my own web site, and I don't a copy of the html of the style sheet structure rather than the pages as they appear when I work on them off my computer. I'm sure this is resolvable, but it's slow going because I'm figuring it out as I go along.

Thank you Ken. I want only my website address in the bio section if that's okay. I believe I put that address in the email I sent you with the blurb.

Hi everyone. The web page is not quite finished yet -- still waiting on a few blurbs, but it is close enough to share. Please review the page for any errors in your blurbs or typos (there was a lot of manually editing via editor, so I could have missed a keystroke here or there. 

For the blurbs themselves, I had to use plain text -- well didn't have to but using links or paragraph breaks or italics and stuff would have presented challenges. Please treat this as book proofs -- okay to point out errors (they can be corrected) but also please avoid asking for superficial changes for style or tinkering. 

Here's the standalone page: http://artsandfaith.com/t100/2019/t25/index.html

Ken, that page looks really nice.  Good work.  My name's misspelled on the LATE SPRING blurb.  If you end up not being able to get the other blurbs you need, hit me up and I can put something together this weekend.

6 minutes ago, Russ said:

Ken, that page looks really nice.  Good work.  My name's misspelled on the LATE SPRING blurb.  If you end up not being able to get the other blurbs you need, hit me up and I can put something together this weekend.

Fixed. Thanks for the sharp eye. 
I am going to a board-game convention this weekend, so I'm going to wait another couple of days before reassigning. I'm not sure that I gave JO, Anders, Rob, or John a hard deadline, so I do want to give them every opportunity. 

By the way, if anyone else who voted or discussed but did not do a blurb wants to be on the "about" page, I am happy to add you -- just send a bio and photo (or tell me to use your avatar).

Whoa! I’m just catching this. I checked the list a few days after volunteering to write a blurb, but saw that it still hadn’t been assigned. Now I see that changed. I’ll get on it. 

Edited by John Drew

Sorry for the delay. I wasn't sure what the deadline was, so it kept getting backburnered. It's been busy with me teaching a spring/summer class. I should finish the blurbs this weekend and get them to you early next week. I'll also send the bio and photo along.

Edited by Anders

I likewise thought the deadline was in June. I'll get cracking this weekend.
Ken, I went back and re-read your instructions, and the May 25 date couldn't be clearer. As a teacher, I give myself an F for following instructions. I apoloigize to everyone for the tardiness. I am working on Colonel Blimp this morning, and I will get Limelight to you as well.

Mea Culpa.

Edited by Joshua Wilson

I probably said June at some point. I didn't know how long it would take for me to learn the coding for the page. 

For what it's worth, I've never seen Madadayo spelled with two aa's in the first syllable, other than on IMDB. I think it's an error there, though I suppose it may be an alternate spelling.

Criterion spells it with one a, so I think that's the more standard version.

I'm glad you mentioned that, Joshua - I'd never seen it spelled that way prior to our list making.  Thanks to your prompting, I checked the academic texts by Richie, Prince, and Yoshimoto, and they all spell it Madadayo.  So I'm inclined to agree it's an error on imdb's part.  Ken, if you're in agreement, would you be ok with correcting the spelling in my blurb and in the list?

I spelled Madadayo with two a's when I compiled the list of nominees, because that's what IMDB had listed, but the DVD box I rented afterward spelled it with one a, so I think you're both right that that's the correct spelling.

Edited by Evan C

I added John's blurb and Joshua's blurb and bio. Josh, I used the photo from your avatar. 

I also changed the spelling of Madadayo.

As another constructive suggestion, I think it would be nice to put the date of release and/or the director in parentheses after each title, to make them easier to find and to disambiguate a couple of the titles from other films with the same name.

Thanks for putting this together, Ken!

On 6/1/2019 at 3:45 AM, Joshua Wilson said:

I likewise thought the deadline was in June. I'll get cracking this weekend.
Ken, I went back and re-read your instructions, and the May 25 date couldn't be clearer. As a teacher, I give myself an F for following instructions. I apoloigize to everyone for the tardiness.

Shoot, I'm just checking in after some days, and I'm in the same boat. I likewise am still teaching for another couple weeks before summer, so it's been backburner, but I'll get to this asap.

The site and the gallery look great! I can't wait to read everyone's comments on the films.

I just saw the site. Thank you Ken. I'm sorry for any confusion regarding the "about me" section. I misread your initial post about it and thought it would be okay to simply have a link to my blog for the "about me" section, which I why I put a link to my blog on the email I sent you with the blurb. I assumed you would just put that link on the new page, so I'm sorry you took the time to go hunting for it on my blog; I forgot that I even wrote all that. I'm fine with it on the page if you are, but it is exceedingly long compared to the others. So, feel free to edit it any way you wish if you agree that it's too long or if there may be any other issues present with it on this site. Again, I apologize the confusion and inconvenience I unintentionally placed on you.

I've added blurbs for Wild Strawberries and Summer Hours (thanks Anders) and 35 Shots of Rum (thanks Jeff).

I'm ambivalent about adding year/director...anyone else want to chime in on this request?

8 hours ago, kenmorefield said:

I'm ambivalent about adding year/director...anyone else want to chime in on this request?

Just my 2 cents, but I'm thinking more words would detract from the aesthetic of the page layout.