Sign in to follow this  

Spiner to Guest Star on ST: Enterprise

Clint M   

Rene Auberjonois has done the same thing before - although he played two seperate characters. It seems that they are trying to cash in on Data's popularity.

Actors playing multiple characters is nothing new in Star Trek -- Mark Lenard played a Romulan commander before he went on to play Spock's father Sarek ... and then he went on to play the Klingon captain in Star Trek: The Motion Picture (and thus, I believe he became the first actor to speak Klingonese).

As you note, Rene Auberjonois played a Federation officer-turned-traitor in ST6:TUC before playing Odo in Deep Space Nine.

Similarly, David Warner played a Federation ambassador in ST5:TFF, the Klingon Chancellor in ST6:TUC, and a Cardassian who tortures Picard in an episode (a two-parter, I think?) of The Next Generation.

Similarly, Majel Barret played Number One in the original Star Trek series pilot ('The Cage'), before she went on to play Nurse/Doctor Chapel in the original series and films ... and then she went on to play Deanna Troi's mother in The Next Generation (to say nothing of lending her voice to the ship's computer).

We could also toss in Michael Dorn, who, in addition to playing Worf in The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine, played one of Worf's ancestors in ST6:TUC.

For that matter, Brent Spiner has already played Data AND Lore AND Dr. Soong, all in the same episode of The Next Generation -- so playing multiple characters is definitely nothing new for him. In fact, since it seems ALL FOUR of his characters will be members of the same family, as it were, one could argue that he isn't really stretching himself as much as SOME actors in this list.

Not a huge surprise, but Star Trek: Enterprise will end its series run on May 13th. Story here. If there is no new Star Trek series to debut in the 2005/06 TV season, this will mark the first time in 18 years that TV will be without new ST stories.... although some may argue that there haven't been any "new" stories for quite some time.

This season, Enterprise has been good. I also enjoyed the Xindi arc of last season. But until this past week's "Babel One" I haven't seen an epidsode of Enterprise that I've thought rose above two, two-and-a-half stars.

I can't think of a single character on the show that stands out as interesting. I don't like the look of the ship. Sigh.

I love Star Trek, but I think a little rest will do the franchise some good.